how to get rid of carbon?

I think the 93 5.0 has some carbon built up as the compression test numbers are higher Is there a way to clean it out without taking the heads off?

Reply to
nospam

BG has a system that some shops utilize that removes carbon from the intake, valves and combustion chambers. How effective it is I can't say. You can try spraying a fine mist of water into the intake while revving the motor. Water will remove carbon quite effectively. Just don't go overboard and be patient.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

GM had a product just made for this, Carbon X. They may still sell it??

Al

Reply to
Big Al

"Big Al" wrote in news:4594996c$0$10309$815e3792 @news.qwest.net:

Seafoam should work as well. Available at your local parts place.

Reply to
Joe

I've heard good things about Seafoam. In the old days, it used to be just a tank of premium and driving it flat out on the highway for a few hours! lol

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

"BradandBrooks" wrote in news:qv4lh.538770$R63.115439@pd7urf1no:

Michael's suggestion to use water also works very well. Used to do that on my dad's '63 Buick years ago. Couple squirts down the ol' carb did wonders for that thing.

Reply to
Joe

It was much easier to do on the old carburetor engines. On fuel injection it needs to be sprayed to get the water into the intake tract.

Since I ran water injection on my car I was surprised at how clean the combustion chambers were the last time I had the heads off. Water is effective at removing carbon.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:bOednYghyqcIpwjYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'll say. Just pop off the air cleaner and dump whatever right down the middle. ;)

On the Shoebox, I can simply disconnect the intake vacuum hose and slowly pour Seafoam right in. The vacuum immediately sucks everything in so there's no mess at all.

Doesn't it effectively become steam cleaning? ;)

Reply to
Joe

Wasn't about everything easier on those old heaps regarding maintenance?

That would work. That is how they get the BG stuff into the engine at the shops.

And with the blower it is high pressure steam cleaning. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE