67 raised rear suspension to fit bigger tires?

HI, I bought some 255/60 rear tires for my 67 coupe, after recieving completley incorrect advice about tire fitment, and now they stick outside of the fender where if I lowered the car off the lift the lip of the fender would cut into the top of the tire. Could I raise the rear suspension so the fender would sit above the tires and they could stick out. How how would I need to do that so the fender doesn't slam down when I go over a bump. How exactly do you raise suspension? Thanks.

Reply to
Will

"Will" wrote in news:1167352967.566439.88860 @i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Longer shackles behind the leaf springs.

Reply to
elaich

Get the correct tires. Sticking out past the fender looks like hell. Raise the rear high enough to clear on bumbs etc, handing goes to hell. Call this an education, which by the way is seldom free!

Reply to
RJ

Reply to
OdieBob

Get the right tires. Even if you lift it you will have to go WAAAY up to keep it from hitting during a bump. Been there done that. Had a friend in highschool that did this on a 73 Nova, he ended up replacing them way prematurely. You don't realize it but the car also shifts side to side when you turn which makes it even worse. If it was a sales dork that gave you the advice, make them replace them. If it was just some guy, be far more careful whose opinion you trust. These are the things you learn on that trip from 14 to 50 and beyond as you do stuff to cars.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I had a '67 with stock 14 by 6 inch wheels. The tires were 225/60/14s and they no where came bear to hitting the lip. I would offer two things, if you like. One, bang the lip down or cut it off - all it does is collect dirt and then, rust. Two, check the suspension, it sounds like it is sagging.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

As above check the current ride height. the tire you mentioned should fit. Do you have the correct "stock " wheels. Sometimes aftermarket wheels have a different back set than stock. if I remember correctly the inner half on the wheel house has a very shallow radius at the top so the tire should have clearance to move inside. Also "zipping" or "radiusing" the rear quarters was a pretty common solution to tire fitment, it is also done on the front fenders to correct rub problems, I believe that ford actually did it at the factory for the Boss series cars with the f-60 15 wide oval tires used in 69 and 70

here is a link about mustang tire fitment

walt peifer

My 67 has 235/60/14's on the rear and 225/60/14's in the front on stock 14x6 ss rims, no problems. ken

Reply to
keng2

Reply to
Dan