how useful is that spoiler on my 96 GT vert?

Let me put it this way:

If my time is worth $100/hour and I spend 1.0 hours finding (assuming I find one local) and obtaining a used trunk lid, that is $100 and then add in the price of the lid, let's say $200. That's $300. If not local, then (a) add $50 for shipping; and (b) add x days wait for shipping. TOTAL: ~ $300 to $350

- VS -

Taking my car to a nearby body shop (1.0 hrs of my time [most of which is "wait time" which means I can be on my phone or just reading/relaxing as opposed to "work time" for above scenario of searching] = $100/2 = $50) plus paying $75 to $100 for the bodywork. TOTAL $125 to $150.

Finally, with a used one from a different car, the chance exists for either (a) slight color mismatch due to fading; and/or (b) scratches/dings and wow if it was one shipped then that means even more of my time to ship it back and find another one.

There you go, the thought processes of a programmer! Same reason I don't change my own oil or do my own tune-ups. I'd rather spend my free time having sex. :)

Reply to
Scotter

Uh huh... and what fantasy world did you pull these figures from? Not to mention that they will have your car two to five days to do the job.

| | Finally, with a used one from a different car, the chance exists for either | (a) slight color mismatch due to fading; and/or (b) scratches/dings and wow | if it was one shipped then that means even more of my time to ship it back | and find another one.

Hey, it was just a thought, and if you found one at a quality wrecking yard, something you can do on the phone, or a good wrecker can run a search for you. There IS a chance the color may be off just a touch B-U-T

There is also that chance if they paint it, and the possibility that in order to make the paint match they might have to blend into the rear quarter panels because your paint may have aged or yrllowed a bit. A butt match may not match at all.

| | There you go, the thought processes of a programmer!

Uh huh... definitely not a body shop tech, but not a dummy either.

| Same reason I don't change my own oil or do my own tune-ups. I'd rather | spend my free time having sex.

Wouldn't we all!

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

The holes are about the size of a nickle. I'll let you know how much time/money the body shop takes to fill in four nickle-size holes.

Reply to
Scotter

A spoiler does not create down force, it "spoils lift" which is created by the body itself. Nothing's free, spoiling aerodynamic lift also creates drag. It's a trade off, remove the undesired lift which will effect handling or spoil that lift and live with a little extra drag. Spoilers are effective to a degree at any speed, just as the lift the body creates varies at different speeds including those legal on the highway. Will you notice a difference on the highway? Doubt it. If I would have ordered my Cobra it would have had the spoiler delete option.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Also, other people have removed spoilers and used headless bolts to fill the holes. They usually grind the lettering down, paint them body color then use a thin plastic or rubber washer to seal water out of the trunk. I think others have used a plastic screw hole cover, painted body color then glued in, found in a mechanical parts catalog.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Uh uh uh.. yup... I done did it muhself in the back yard with a doggone paint can.... hu hu huh...

Seriously, I have heard of people doing stuff like this to their cars. WTF are they thinking???

Hokey hokey hokey...

Kate

| --- | | > A spoiler does not create down force, it "spoils lift" which is | > created by the body itself. Nothing's free, spoiling aerodynamic lift | > also creates drag. It's a trade off, remove the undesired lift which | > will effect handling or spoil that lift and live with a little extra | > drag. Spoilers are effective to a degree at any speed, just as the | > lift the body creates varies at different speeds including those | > legal on the highway. Will you notice a difference on the highway? | > Doubt it. If I would have ordered my Cobra it would have had the | > spoiler delete option. | >

| >> more downforce comes at a cost. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

The pics I've seen of a Terminator Cobra using one of these methods doesn't look bad at all. I'll see if I can find one of the pics and link it. The plastic screw hole covers also come in handy for hiding the holes in the front bumper when you remove the front plate.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Thanks for all the great info, Mike! Where would you recommend buying these items?

Reply to
Scotter

Paint from ford, a touchup bottle is ~$10. Headless bolts -- the home depot near me has em, if not, any auto parts store will, pep boys, etc.

Worst case, go to your friendly neighborhood shop and buy a handfull for $20.

Reply to
japhar81

Hey, whatever blows your dress up.

Kate