I Bent my Baby

I was backing up onto ramps and at about half way up the traction between the wheels and the ramps exceeded the friction coefficient between the ramps and the concrete floor. You guessed it. The ramps literally shot forward to about the back edge of the doors with the rear wheels hanging just off the ground. No obvious damage except for some scraps and dents on the underside of the side rails. Get the floor jack out and jack up the car to remove the ramps. So far so good. As I had the drivers door open while I was backing up I now go to close it and discover to my horror that the door latch and striker are at good 3/16" out of alignment. I've lowered the striker plate so I can close the door but now I'm wondering if I need to take my baby in to see how much the chassis is out of alignment. That seems to me to be a pretty big shift in the rear quarter of the car. Damn it's always something. I'm beginning to think that "Murphy" lives at my house.

BTW, for those who responded to my earlier question about the a/c clutch not engaging it turns out that the a/c cycling switch was faulty. Discovered this when I tapped the switch and the clutch engaged but would cut out until I tapped it again. Cheap fix at $20.

Reply to
Richard

This happened to me when I had a Ford Focus ZX3. I was going to change oil. I had a manual trans. and during pulling forward on to the ramps, I managed to shoot the ramps back under the doors on both sides. It flattened out the raised seam where the sheet metal ends came together and welded, but no other harm. I may be wrong but 3/16" doesn't seem too bad unless the door now has very small clearance in some areas. John

Reply to
JohnR66

You may think this sounds insane, but it may work. Open the door all the way, grab the end of it at the bottom and yank UP.

It may pull it back into alignment. If not, then take it to a shop.

And people at car washes wonder why I threaten to carve the skin off their balls if they try to drive my car with the door open......

Good luck!

Reply to
SVTKate

I was using crappy jackstands (hollow legs) and they sunk into the pavement. I had to pry them out. All they would have had to do was weld some small plates on the bottom of the legs.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

Did this to my winter beater. Dented the floor pan pretty good. Of course it was just the winter beater. pounded it back out and just welded it where it cracked because it had been rusting there anyway.

I avoid puting my mustang on ramps. I just don't like them at all. I change the oil with the car flat and level on all four wheels. I should just have a pit. drive over, remove steel plate after the car is parked and go down...

Reply to
Brent P

You must be one "skinny guy". I know that I can't fit under my mustang.

I should

I'm now thinking that maybe I didn't bend the chassis. I can't tell for certain but I'm now guessing that the door moved on the hinges enough to cause it to drop at the striker plate by the 3/16". Given the length of the door that would be a very small twist at the hinge. Anyway, that is my fix for Thursday this week.

Reply to
Richard

Long arms mostly.

The thing is, after every bump, I look at every gap like it's a problem. Ford's gaps aren't exactly consistant to begin with.

Reply to
Brent P