I got the codes, and now I am really lost.

Okay, to refresh the memory, this is what is going on.

I lose all power under a load. Oddly enough, I lose power sometimes if I hit a bump also. Mainly it does it under throttle. Hardly ever over 4k rpm's. A lot of times if does as soon as I try to take off.

Anyhow, we ran the codes, and this what we got.

67 - Means in gear (I knew this) 85 - Canister Purge (I don't have smog equipment anymore) 10 - Separator Code 18 - IDM to PCM Spout (Spout connector maybe? Ignition Module maybe?) 33 - Insufficient EGR flow to canister (I think I know what this is and shouldn't be worried) 96 - Fuel Pump check open to PCM (No idea what this is)

So, another guy listens to me explain some of the issues, and comes up with this idea. First, you know how the ignition springs back after you start it to a resting position? Well, if I don't hold it to keep the slack out of it, a lot of times it will just shut off.

So, he takes the steering column apart and shows me that the plug and what not for the ignition wiring harness is lose. He also tells me that it is not uncommon for this to happen and that a lot of people will zip tie instead of spending the $10 for a new connector.

There ya have it, I am anxiously awaiting comments and suggestions.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

snip

Don, I had what sounds like a similar problem with a gm product I was forced to own for a while. My problem was caused by a baffle that had rusted loose in the muffler and would every now and then bounce around and block the tail pipe. Car would lose power until I thought I'd have an aneurysm... then I'd shut the car off. The car started first try every single time. That baffle would lay on the bottom of the muffler until it decided my day had gone too smoothly... Damn I hated that car!

bill

'64.5: 260, 3 sp, a/c, SVO cam, Performer intake, Holley 390, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq Thrust D's

*SOLD* 66: '93 5.0, etc.

Colt AR15, Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

Except, I am losing complete electrical power. Yeah, I get backfires and what not, but I can't see a baffle giving a complete electrical and engine failure over and over. Good idea though, and I will have to add that to my list of things to remember for the future problems that might arise for me or someone else.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

The 67 can also mean that you left the heater in a position where the AC was demanded "on"... there are other things that can cause this code so it's important to set the proper conditions when self testing. If we don't run the test correctly, we are deluding ourselves, can cause false codes or even hide conditions we should be looking at.

It's not rare to see IDM codes in continuous memory..... a KOER test should prove or disprove the current valdity of the code. EGR is always something to worry about.... both from a tailpipe emissions standpoint as well as an engine performance standpoint. The 96 could be a real clue - this refers to the circuit powering up your fuel pump..... and if the fuel pump circuit goes open..........

The correct way to diagnose continuous memory codes is to note the codes and clear them, run the on demand tests (both KOEO and KOER), go for a drive and then recheck codes (make sure the problem recurred in the test drive). If your 96 returns, then you have some real solid evidence to proceed with your diagnosis. Intermittents are usually "fun" to diagnose....

Jim Warman

Since you are loosing ELECTRICAL power, it would be a good bet the ignition electrical switch could be the culprit. Since you mentioned if you move it slightly it will cut-off, replace the ignition electrical switch as this is a VERY common issue.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy