Lost AM reception

Here's an unhappy development: My '97 XLT with the factory AM/FM/cassette is suddenly getting virtually zero AM radio reception -- but only when the it's running. When the engine's not running and I flip the ignition to Accessory, AM reception is fine. FM reception is always dandy. Antenna mast is nice and snug. Any thoughts on the cause and potential fix? Thanks.

Reply to
Mags

John Shoemaker

I experienced same problem with radio in a 1997 Mountaineer. The AM reception severely deteriorated over a four-year period to the point that AM band was practically useless when car was running. Dealer attempted to repair under ESP coverage, including a TSB fix to correct for fuel pump interference. It did not solve the problem.

Eventually I queried a technician at an independent Ford-authorized electronics installer when I took the vehicle in to get the remote-entry system repaired. This person immediately knew what the problem was; apparently there was/is a corrosion problem that affects the antenna connections on this era "explorer-class" vehicles. I ended up having to go back to the dealer as there was an open ESP repair order; however, service advisor called installer and got low-down on what needed to be done and/or replaced.

The AM reception improved to almost "new" quality; however, as luck would have it, the dealer technican failed to secure a strap or harness behind the radio that resulted in a constant rattle while vehicle was in motion. Also, the fix turned out not to be permanent as the AM reception had deteriorated again by the time I traded in the vehicle 10 months later.

Good luck!

Bill Lav

2002 Explorer XLT
Reply to