Idiotic "mechanics"

2 inches! How much extra was THAT? Get a synthetic oil change. This will nearly guarantee you will not get overfilled.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

my 98 GT says 5 quarts in Chiltons & Haynes manuals. I put in 5 quarts... low. 6 quarts is just right. Always worried that I was screwing something up, but I swear it takes 6 quarts lol.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

A 5 qt jug plus 2 qts of mobil1 puts it just a full so I would call it 6 qts either that or Mobil is screwing us on content volume.

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Somewhere between 1997 and 1999 ford changed the mustang GT 4.6L SOHC oil capacity from 6 quarts to 5. However as far as I can tell, there has been no change to the oil pan or the actual physical capacity of the engine to hold oil. The dipstick of course was changed to reflect the new value.

I doubt the additional oil would have harmed your 2000, it only brought it up to around the per-owners-manual-and-dipstick levels I've been running my '97 at since new.

If someone already mentioned this, sorry for the repeat, I didn't read all the replies.

Reply to
Brent P

That's a lot. About 2 quarts over, I'd guess. Are you sure you have the right dipstick and dipstick tube in your car? It's a long shot, but still possible.

Given your situation, I think I'd make an appointment with the manager next oil change. Explain whats going on and ask him to solve the problem. It's in his interest to do so. Tell him you suspect an uncalibrated oil dispenser and ask him how they calibrate it and how often. If there's any question about it's accuracy, insist they put in oil that you brought, that way you know they had exactly 5 quarts.

Solving a problem can take many turns on the path to the solution. Push all the preconceived notions and prejudices out of your mind and aim for the root cause!

Reply to
John

As a business owner I can understand the frustration. And, yes, sometimes you do have to fire the customer as they are costing (by any measure) you more than they are worth.

Reply to
Richard

Just so you know my credentials....

I am a master certified mechanic....Car/lt. Truck....Bus.....Med/heavy truck. Master in each. Four years in Ford dealerships Seven years in Fleet shops Two years in Independant shops The last four years as a Fleet maintenance Supervisor

One: Over filling the crankcase CAN AND WILL cause engine damage. If top level of the oil is in contact with (above the lowestmost point of ) the crank, the motion of the crank can cause foaming of the oil. This will lead to a loss of pressure condition and all of the associated damage that can cause.

Two: Any "tech" as they are called now can and does make mistakes from time to time. if the mistake is corrected without problem, "no harm no foul". If harsh words were spoken that "Tech" should be out of a job. The aftermarket car care industry is a VERY tight market and owners/managers need to take extreme care not to run off customers.

Three: There is no reason whatsoever to fill the filter with oil prior to installation. The efficiency of modern (or even new "old style") oil pumps is very high. The amount of time your engine will be without oil while filling the filter is less than one second.

Kreigman '72 Mach one in rebuild

Reply to
Sean Collins

"Most"? I'm not trying to be insulting, but I'd give it about a one in three chance of finding a "top notch" mechanic.

Sounds like your typical auto tech has to deal with the same crap most other professions have to deal with. And given (at least where I live) the hourly rate for auto work is about the same as many traditional professions, maybe a little tongue biting isn't the end of the world.

How about this: after taking my brand new car (in 2000) back to the dealer at least 5 times regarding a strange whirring sound from the front end, I get the bad cop routine from the service manager, "what's it going to make you happy?" and "you're hearing an aggressive tire design" (heh, I still love that one). 20 minutes after taking it to another dealer, and a new wheel bearing later, the car ran like a dream. You tell me, 'cause in my experience, examples like this aren't all that uncommon. Wanna hear about what the screw driver a Chrysler tech left under the hood did to my new Grand Cherokee back in the day? :)

One day, you will lament the good old days. Never turn away business for such a trivial cause.

Sure, but that's not what the OP described. He described a situation where the mechanic tried to blame the customer for his own negligence. If you can't deal with it when a customer is right and you're wrong, then do something else.

Reply to
pawn, loathesome, credible

neither is a yankee technician in canada they would call ya unskilled labor

hurc ast

Reply to
  whose ya daddy 96

Actually that has nothing to with sealing better. The filter will seal just as good either way. HOWEVER, if yo don't lube the o-ring, man have fun trying to get that filter back off =)

-- Stephan

2001 Yamaha YZF-R6
Reply to
Stephan Rose