idle thought on gasoline/fuel taxes

remember when unleaded fuel first cam out? You could stick an unleaded nozzle in a leaded fuel car but you couldn't pump leaded fuel into an unleaded vehicle.

could we do something like that again? suppose that the restrictor plate in the gas tank is sized according to fuel mileage? I.E. as the mileage gets worse the hole gets smaller. And the pumps at the gas station were also sized accordingly, so that all current vehicles and 2007 models that get better than 30mpg pay the current $2.35 per gallon those that got between 15 and 30 paid 2,35 plus say a dollar tax making the fuel $3.35 and those vehicles getting less than 15 mpg paid say $4.35 and the pumps ran slower. so that a guy with an expedition had to take say 30 minutes to pump his 30 gallons of gas. and then each new model year the standards increase so to get the large restrictor in the fuel tank the car had to get 40 mpg and the middle sized one would go to say 25 to 39 mpg and anything less than 24 mpg would get the smallest plate and pay the highest price. this way current owners would not be penalized, and each year as the standards get tougher it the new vehicle buyer who has to make the choice. I think three sizes would be easy enough to do cause minimum confusion and generate big results the first year. If we then took the extra tax revenue and it went solely to energy research (wind, solar geo-thermal, fusion whatever) for other energy needs (home heating, lighting etc.t) then petroleum would only used as a fuel for cars. and as other energy became cheaper perhaps electric alternative fuel cars could make a bigger dent in sales of convential fuel vehicles

Reply to
walt peifer

If you also remember when unleaded came out, there was a little plastic adapter that you could slip over the nozzle and then you could put regular gas into an unleaded tank. These things were labeled "for emergency use only when unleaded gas is not available". Everybody used these things and then they wondered why their catalytic converter plugged up. I knew of an entire POLICE FORCE that hollowed out their catalytic converters and ran regular gas and these people were supposed to uphold the law.

Fast forward to now. How would you enforce this? What would stop people from buying their gas in 5 gallon cans and taking their cheap gas and putting it in their gas guzzling vehicles. Also, can you imagine the outcry that the public would have? And who would police this? Gas station attendants, the law inforcement police? Another government agency setup just to prosecute these people?

Imagine if you were in line at McDonalds and the first person ordered a BigMac combo meal and paid $4. Then the person in front of you ordered a BigMac combo meal for $4. Then you step up and order your BigMac combo meal and the person behind the counter charged you $6. Why? Because the person behind the counter tell you that you weigh 100 pounds more than the first two and you will probably have a heart attack before the first two people and the extra two bucks goes to a national life insurance policy fund. Would you like it? Of course not.

I'm not belittling you post and with gas prices going up again everybody will want to do something. I'm not sure if tiered prices would help without turning everybody into a criminal.

Reply to
Kruse

I bet you're dumb enough to buy a hybrid.

Darn hippies. Always talking about saving the world. But all they ever do is smoke pot and smell bad.

Reply to
.boB

Walt, You have WAY TOO MUCH time on your hands.

KJK

[...]
KJ.Kate

".boB" wrote

: : Darn hippies. Always talking about saving the world. But all they ever do is : smoke pot and smell bad.

So... smoking pot and showering regularly is ok.. right?

*WEG*

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

And the motivation for the oil industry to restrict (not to mention aggravate) the sale of their product is what again??? On the other hand there is great motivation for lots of money to be made by the aftermarket parts market. This could spark a flourishing market for replacement high volume high speed fuel system components.

Reply to
351CJ

What a bunny hugger. The people that drive F550's to deliver the furniture to your house, and the fish to your grocer should throw you in the back of their refrigerated truck and leave you there.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Better that shortsighted thought is argued here than on the floor of some state legislature.

Walt, I suggest that you do a little research into what happens when government meddles in the free market, or tries to artificially tilt it.

The ONLY result is that some get screwed.. often those who can least afford it.. and some get rich. Usually the list includes lawyers and accountants.

On the other hand, it WOULD make for a lot of job creation... jobs that add nothing to actual PRODUCTIVITY!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic