Ignition problem update

For anyone who cares... I posted a while back about my 1993 not starting. Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes just nothing. Then, it will start fine. Then nothing. You get the idea. Turns out it was the ignition switch.

Follow up question: WHAT is with that rattle the car makes when the tach hits 2000rpm? Everytime. Sounds like it's coming from behind the radio, but I know sound travels, so... Someone else has to have had this gremlin???

Thank you.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

ford had a recall on the cats for a while, the ceramic would brake loose and get sideways some, created a loud resonance about 2,000 for me on a 1987 5.0. but knew it was exaust. Then I got it fixed for free, resonance went away.

How sharp is the rattle? only at 2000, or from 1500 to 2500 ? smaller parts have sharper rattle. check for loose parts under dash, mine had a large relay which was loose under dash, flasher I think.

Follow up question: WHAT is with that rattle the car makes when the tach hits 2000rpm? Everytime. Sounds like it's coming from behind the radio, but I know sound travels, so... Someone else has to have had this gremlin???

Thank you.

Brad

Reply to
Narthix

get sideways some, created a loud resonance about 2,000 for me on a 1987 5.0. but knew it was exaust. Then I got it fixed for free, resonance went away.

have sharper rattle.

dash, flasher I think.

Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes just nothing. Then, it will start fine. Then nothing. You get the idea. Turns out it was the ignition switch.

2000rpm? Everytime. Sounds like it's coming from behind the radio, but I know sound travels, so... Someone else has to have had this gremlin???

my 88 had the cats replaced and still had the resonance. I think the whole exhaust system is somewhat resonant at 2000 and if any part of the exhaust touches any part of the body it creates a significant vibration. My right exhaust tip was just barely touching the bottom of the bumper... I think it was either misaligned a bit from when they did the cat replacement or someone tapped it up hitting a curb before I got it. I stuck a crowbar up the tailpipe and bent the pipe down about a quarter inch and got rid of 90% of the noise.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

get sideways some, created a loud resonance about 2,000 for me on a 1987 5.0. but knew it was exaust. Then I got it fixed for free, resonance went away.

have sharper rattle.

under dash, flasher I think.

Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes just nothing. Then, it will start fine. Then nothing. You get the idea. Turns out it was the ignition switch.

hits 2000rpm? Everytime. Sounds like it's coming from behind the radio, but I know sound travels, so... Someone else has to have had this gremlin???

The heat shields around the cats are responsible for a very high percentage of resonance issues.

Reply to
RB

S197s had a TSB on "rattle in the central stack", which I learned meant the place where heater controls and radio, etc, are located. In my 2006 V6 they "adjusted the exhaust alignment" and it was cured. They said they didn't have to apply the TSB-suggested cure, which involved putting a clamp around one of the pipes, creating a buffer for the vibration.

Reply to
Frank ess

Awesome. Thank you everyone. I have a new project this weekend! :) (Yes, I think I actually like working on my car more than driving it sometimes.)

Thanks again guys.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

Brad, you will eventually get over that :)

Brad and Karen wrote:

Reply to
RB