mazda mx5 1991 (eunos roadster) starting problem

Hi to all out there, I am new to this site and also new to Mazda MX5's. My partner and I have just perchased an old one as our second car. I am hoping that someone can give me some help with my starting problem. usually first thing in the morning it will start first time, after that your in the hands of the gods. Its like the immobiliser is still on but its not, the ignition lights are all on but nothing happens not even a click noise. to over come this I have to take a wire from the solonoid and touch it onto a terminal on the starter motor, it sparks a bit but it turns the engine over and starts, so my problem is not so much starting as turning the engine over.

Reply to
window

Mazda MX5's. My

I am

problem.

after that

still on but

even a

solonoid and

but it turns

starting as

Sounds like the starter itself is bad. One of the symptoms of the solenoid not working is the lack of "click" when you turn the key. There may also be a dead spot on the commutator. When the engine stops on the dead spot, it won't start again. By giving it a "bump" you've moved the bad spot and then the engine will start again.

Or the ignition switch could be bad too. Does the car start again if you wiggle the key back and forth a couple times? Then it's the switch that's not working.

-- Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva