Kudos, Ford! New Boss 302 On The Way!

We've been hearing rumblings about a new Boss 302 for a while now, but
nothing confirmed. Well, it now [finally] sounds like the plan is a
go. Motor Trend writes: "...Ford will launch a 21st century Boss
Mustang. And like the storied Boss Mustangs of 1969, it'll be powered
by a rev-happy V-8 of about 5-liters. The new Boss engine is an
alloy-block, naturally aspirated V-8 developing from the current
modular engine architecture. Whisper out of Dearborn is it's good for
at least 390 horsepower, enough to tackle GM's 400-horse LS2. The Boss
interior will be stripped out to keep costs down. But the good news
for drivers is the car will get the impressive Shelby GT500 suspension
setup."
Reply to
NoOption5L
Well, 400 hp, light weight and a good suspension..... looks like a winner to me. Sounds like a good "Plan B" if I can't score a GT500 vert at MSRP.
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't offer a vert Boss. The original was meant to be a track car for the street and convertibles aren't conducive to good handling due to body flex and additional weight relative to a coupe.
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE
I agree, Michael. Bosses were meant to be track cars/stars, not boulevard cruisers. Keep the 'verts for the GTs & GT500s.
Patrick
Reply to
NoOption5L
Nahh. The Boss is a hardtop all around!!!
Still have my Matchbox car somewhere around here!
FWIW I was 9 years old in 69.......
Reply to
Joey
Since the Shelby GT 500 is way out of my price range, maybe this new stripped down "Boss 302" will be within reality. Any rumor on price point yet or is this all still speculation from M/T?
Dreaming in N'awlins...
Reply to
NOLA Robert
It's way too early for that. But if I were to guess, I'd say it'll come in about $4K-$5K less than the GT500.
Patrick
Reply to
NoOption5L

Site Timeline Threads