LF: Hood scoop & 1 question

Hey gang,

I have a few questions for you guys, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I have an 84 gt with the original Mags (rims) and they are pretty tattered....I was wondering if anyone could inform me of a good product that would help me clean them up a bit.....I like the look of them so I wanna keep them, but unfortunately I do not want to spend 100/rim to get them done professionally. I can forward you a pic of the rims if you need to see them.

my second question is: I am also looking for the hood scoop that was an option on the 79-85 gt, the short scoop....I have checked everywhere that I know of and I cannot find one..unless i order one from some website.....does anyone have one that they are willing to part with or know of a place that is not trying to sell them for 150$.....

Please keep in mind that I am located in canada....and I will pay the shipping if you do have one laying around...

Thanks for the help guys

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Where in Canada are you located Rick?

Stu

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Montreal, Quebec canada

Reply to
Rick

Rick,

You note the "original Mags." Are you talking about the TRX wheels that require a metric-sized tire? Not sure what the options for that are in Canada, but I know here, the options for a tire that fits those wheels is down to probably two.

As for the hood scoop - Mustangs Unlimited used to carry them, but that's from a website that you're trying to avoid. From what I can remember, anything pre-'84 had a front-facing scoop and everything '84-up came with a rear-facing scoop. I was under the assumption that all GT models had this scoop for air cleaner clearance (though it isn't really necessary, at least in a convertible) from the factory.

That said, there are two different part numbers for the scoop, depending on which way it is to mount. I'd shop around for the scoops first, look at some pictures that describe them, then choose your weapon from someone local.

JS

Reply to
JS

A buddy of mine Jeff Chapman runs MustangSpecialteaz here ( near Mississauga) He may have one in stock. I can drop him a line and see if he has one. He is pretty reasonable. He just moved so I pass his new place on the way home. His number is 905-877-7726. If you're in the Toronto area he is 6 km north of the 401 on Trafalgar Road ( #9811) on the right heading north near Georgetown. BTW I guess you mean the Turbo style scoop ( used on the 82 GT's) as opposed to the reverse style hood bulge used on '83/'84. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

The TRX package was available here in Canada ( also on T birds and Cougars and midsize LTD/Marquis) but there are also 14" optional rims ( as seen on the GT at the top of this page.) Personally if I had TRX wheels on one of my cars I'd swap them out to 10 holes for simplicity's sake. Ford also had an 8 hole 14" alloy that was used on T birds often. Cheviot Wheels used to sell thin spoked TRX Mustang/Capri wheels. I got a set when I bought an '80 Capri RS. I just flogged them as Michelin or Pirelli metrics were WAY to pricey! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I agree with the TRX things.. they needs to go. They're not *bad* wheels, but why they went with a metric tire I'll never know.

I've read the Mustang GT registry site a few times but never caught that the '84's didn't have a scoop. Interesting.

Thanks, Stu..

JS

to 10 holes for

Reply to
JS

Hey gang,

the mags are not TRX....and the hood scoop was an OPTION.....I will check out the websites you have given me although I really did not want to buy from one....

If you guys wanna see the rims I am referrnin to, I have uploaded some pics of what I have been up to..tell me what you think about it....

thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Those are the cast aluminum 16 spoke wheels that have been around since at least the beginning of the Fox Body Mustangs in 79...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Correct me if I am wrong, but they did stop producing them in 1984....

.......but does anyone have a solution to cleaning them other than professionally?

Thanks Gang Rick

OPTION.....I

Reply to
Rick

Hey Rick,

I checked with Jeff today and he said he sold the last turbo style scoop he had a month ago but he is always getting cars in so I'll keep an eye out for you. I see him about once a week to see what he has "instock" He says they usually go for 40 to 60 dollars (Cdn) depending on shape. BTW if your rims are clear-coated you'll need to get that off before you can polish them, otherwise rubbing compound and a power buffer should make them look a lot prettier. You might need to get some CLR and and get the rust and crud out of the spokes. Polishing really just requires patience and elbow grease. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet