My theory (so the feebs will understand)

I noticed a couple radicals freaked out when I suggested we leave the solutions to pollution problems to future generations. On the surface (without any critical thought) it figures the cretins would go nuts when they read it. But if you actually THINK about it, it makes perfect sense. In 1966 or so, some of the first pollution devices came into being on cars. CO2 filters. But, it wasn't until 1976 that catalytic converters came into being. It wasn't until then that time that any real progress was made on auto emissions. The converter made it possible to extract about 90% of the "harmful" gasses from car exhausts. Until that time, all other measures (EGR, CO2 cannisters, etc) made little difference. The same is true now of pollution we can't yet control. Whatever half-assed measure we come up with will only have a modest control effect. However, implementing strict controls will have a devastating effect on our economic systems. Because they aren't cures, like the catalytic converter was, but axe-like cuts, that make little headway in controlling emissions but do serious damage to the economy. In turn, this damage reduces drastically the amount of money available for development of real pollution controls so in the long run, wasting time, money and effort on modest controls may prevent us from finding REAL controls. Science is not cheap, and R&D gets cut when people and businesses suffer financially. So, lets stop pretending 15% cuts over 10 years will "save" the environment, (especially since the rapidly industrializiing Third World is doing F--- all to help) stop implementing WORTHLESS attempts at pollution control that will only hurt us in the long run but KEEP spending on the science needed to produce TRUE controls at a future date.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Ah, how to win friends and influence people... call them names if they disagree or have a different point of view. Do you wonder that people give you a hard time? You constantly spout gloom and doom, but what does it get you? What does it get anyone? Why not try to look at the upside of life. There are people trying to make a positive difference.

Could the fact that the technologies which you cite were not available, therefore the great leap in progress to halt pollution could not have appeared until after they were developed? Or that it took until people recognized the damage the pollution was creating to give impetus to development of said technologies? Seems it's a case of to all things there is a season.... or era.....

The catalytic converter, which has been found to produce pollutants of it's own, was not a cure. If it had been, there would be no pollutants emitted.

There is a point of no return in practically all things.... You propose that we do nothing and in doing nothing we might attain that point of no return when , no matter what might be developed, it will be too late to save the environment? That's like saying you sewer line is clogging but do nothing until it backs up into your home.

As for the Third World, think of them as children. In their development, they must also learn the lessons industrialized nations have already learned. That there is a price to be paid. Like children, simply telling them not to do something will not educate them. It will not help them see the cost. Like a child on a playground who throws down a wrapper, and gets sent to the principal's office for doing so, Third World countries must, unfortunately, learn some lessons the hard way.

Others learn more quickly. For example, when Brazil tells the world to pay up if they want them to stop cutting down the rainforests. How much sense does that make though? Like putting a gun to your head and saying give me the money or I'll shoot myself.

Reply to
Spike

Thanks, that reminds me...I haven't watched _BLAZING SADDLES_ in a good, long while.

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Come to think of it, neither have I... and I love those Gene Wilder movies... : 0 )

Reply to
Spike

"Jim Warman" wrote

: Man... if people thought you were a self centered dick before.... I think : you have removed all doubt.

Hey, I'm convinced.

Nice post Jim.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Just don't get him going about digital cameras or you will REALLY be sorry. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Why, thank ya very much, young lady..... is this where this feeb get's up in front of all the other feebs and takes a bow???? If a group hug is involved, I always like to get a good gander at the group first.....

I wish I could see the world in black and white, like some folks can..... my world, sadly, consists of varying shades of grey. Many of my choices are limited to "not so good" and "not so bad" rather than yes and no...

OMG!!!! I'm turning into my Dad....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Personally, and I don't know your dad : 0 ), the world would probably be a far better place if more people saw in shades of gray. This either or crap stalls progress. Just look at the idiots in the US Congress. They're so busy fighting over who is right and who is wrong that everything else is stalled. Problem is both sides are right and both sides are wrong.. and it's the John and Jane Does who are paying the price for their egos. Same with environmentalists, and religious extremists, etc.

Reply to
Spike

If there is a group hug and I'm invited you fellas better watch your backsides, cause someone is gonna get pinched!

*wink*

: : I wish I could see the world in black and white, like some folks can..... my : world, sadly, consists of varying shades of grey. Many of my choices are : limited to "not so good" and "not so bad" rather than yes and no... : : OMG!!!! I'm turning into my Dad....

So long as you don't wear your pants pulled up to your chest and one of those hunting caps with the furry flaps over the ears, you're going to be just fine LLO!

KJK

: > "Jim Warman" wrote : >

: >

: > : Man... if people thought you were a self centered dick before.... I : > think : > : you have removed all doubt. : >

: >

: > Hey, I'm convinced. : >

: >

: >

: > Nice post Jim. : >

: > KJK : >

: >

: :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

: >In nearly 40 years in the automotive trades, I have yet to see a CO2 filter : >or CO2 cannister... I must assume that you are referring to an evaporative : >emissions device that contains activated charcoal. These devices are : >designed to absorb gasoline vapours while the car is parked and then return : >them to the intake tract to be burned in the combustion chamber when the car : >is running.

: Shucks.... I thought it was a new device for chilling your beer....

Have you never heard of charcoal filtering your beer Spike? Geeze! Pay attention!

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I had a feeling the concept would go over your heads.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

And that's how the real world works... and always will.

Waiting for a couple of my boys to get there ('turning into my Dad')... one is slowly migrating, the other resisting with all his might.

The most successful claims he makes decisions by "What would Dad do..", though I have to disclaim to him: "You mean: What would dad do if he had to make the decision NOW!"

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Now, therein lies the problem... There is no real thought there to go anywhere. That it went over anyone's heads is simply because it's filled with hot air.

Reply to
Spike

Gee. I use it for the BBQ and for filtering my bourbon...

Reply to
Spike

Any possible chance you had of ever looking even the slightest bit credible, and have me even pretend to read and consider your argument, went straight out the window with referring to myself or anyone else here as a radical and/or a cretin. The day your intelligence measures close to the majority of this group will be sometime during the same week that Hell freezes over.

Reply to
WindsorFox

'Scuse me while I whip dis out....

Reply to
WindsorFox

"Rich" wrote : : I had a feeling the concept would go over your heads. : -Rich

Yea, that's it Rich WE'RE the ones that don't get it.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

"Spike" wrote : >Have you never heard of charcoal filtering your beer Spike? Geeze! Pay : >attention! : >

: >KJK : >

: Gee. I use it for the BBQ and for filtering my bourbon... : --

Ohhhhhh bourbon flavored BBQ ?

Sounds kind of intense.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

only when you've marinated a good tri tip for a couple of days.... I'll send you my recipe : 0 )

Reply to
Spike

While under normal conditions, most people might conclude that if one person holds a position and all others oppose, then the one is probably in error. However... you'd be in august company with the likes of Christopher Columbus.... if a number of his ships had not fallen over the edge...

Reply to
Spike