New Age Torino

Could something like this be a seller? Maybe a normally aspirated version of 5.4 liter motor (and 6-speed) from the GT500. What do you think?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

That's a pretty sweet looking car, but it needs more aggression in the rear window upsweep to emulate a Torino.

BTW, what is that, and where did you find the pic.

Reply to
elaich

I endorse the 2-door torino idea... but the car needs to be longer and the rear roof line a long slope to practically the lip of the trunk ;)

That car is too close to mustang sized by the looks of it. redo the grill, make it a cougar :)

Reply to
Brent P

Badass!

Reply to
WindsorFox

I think Ford would sell a lot of them. They could steal a lot of Chrysler 300 customers, Charger, Impala.

They would have to keep the price down. I think they could win back a lot of foreign car buyers too. What guy would choose a Camry over one of these?

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

It looks sweet. From the window line it reminds me of a C class Mercedes. I would like to see it longer as others have said, but also with hidden headlights that flip open. Oh and also make the Starsky and Hutch model debut at the next auto show. :)

Nick

Nicholas Anthony

You're kidding, right? Who's buying Camrys now?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Evidently Hundreds of Thousands of people...

When they announce the redesign of the best-selling car in America, it's big news. The 2007 Toyota Camry is the sixth generation of Camry cars. Over 10 million Camrys have been sold worldwide since the first model rolled off the line in 1983; over 458,000 were sold in the US alone in 2005.

Toyota Camry is Motor Trend car of year DETROIT - The redesigned Toyota Camry, the hottest-selling car in America, is winner of Motor Trend magazine's 2007 Car of the Year award.

My Name Is Nobody

I agree. The rear haunches need some bolstering up. Maybe add some [front & rear] fender lips like on the current Mustang. And the rear tail lights would need to be done right.

Through BON.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Uh.... I know that the Camry sells very well. My implied point was that the Camry buyers will continue to buy Camrys, no matter what Detroit wheels out that may appeal to the rest of us.

duh-wight

Reply to
dwight

I agree, Mort. And would hope people looking for something with a little attitude (and rear drive) would be standing in line.

Not sure what dwight means by this. But I think there's some sarcasm in there.

Dwight, what you mean by this?

FYI -- Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" is a sham! Nothing more than a money maker for Motor Trend magazine who basically sells the award to a manufacturer who then uses it as an advertising prop. It's real-world significance is somewhere between nil and zero.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Didn't the Malibu win a couple of years ago?

Reply to
GILL

Very simple. In response to:

"They would have to keep the price down. I think they could win back a lot of foreign car buyers too. What guy would choose a Camry over one of these?"

Camry buyers probably don't care about a new Torino. Or the Chrysler 300 or the Impala or the current Mustang or anything else that we may find exciting. Hell, if the current metal doesn't ween them off of plain-Jane family sedans, why would this new Torino?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Grandparents and boring people??

Reply to
WindsorFox

Now that would be cool!

No, not a Cougar. A Cougar redo would have to be, IMO, Mustang sized, and with some elegant touches, a softer rider, and an extra luxury feature to two.

Something like this Torino, if it were produced would have to be a little bigger/higher priced tthan a Mustang clone.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

It's very good looking just as is. Looks like a Torino

Put out a base model with the new 250hp v6.

You get three retro models out of that car... mod the nose and tail metal and you have the rebirth of the TBird and Cougar, as well.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Looks more like a Mustang with a nose job. Not that I don't like it, but cover the grill and tell me it still looks like a Torino.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

That's what I meant. the car pictured looks mustang sized, which is why I suggested styling it as a cougar. The torino is a pretty big car by modern standards.

Reply to
Brent P

O-o-oKay. On the other hand.. Put the 70's Mustang and a Torino on a scale.....

Get it? ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Oh, yeah, I get it. You are saying it looks like a Torino because of how much it weighs. Don't know why I didn't see it before.;-)

Dave

Reply to
Hairy