Nitro

Are there states where NOS is illegal to have on the car?

I'm facing a tough decision right now on what car to buy. I want something thats comfortable. High performance. Easy to modify. Plenty of aftermarket parts.

What do I need to consider in the Stang? Lets say I get a new 06 GT. Let's suppose I slap on an aftermarket exhaust, chip it, supercharge it, NOS it, change the cams, change the crank shaft and everything. Can that be done btw? supercharger with NOS? What about NOS with a turbocharger?

How long is the NOS good for at a time? How dangerous is the stuff?

Is any of the above feasable? Or can it not be done because new cars these days need to pass smog. I would imagine that some of these mods would make the car right away fail from a visual inspection.

Also what are some good racing seats for the new Stangs? Recomendations?

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

It is a non-flammable, non-toxic gas. In too high a concentration it can cause asphyxiation, so check for leaks REAL good at installation and at the connection point on every bottle change. You might get frost bite changing out a bottle too soon after a good run, so use gloves.

Compared to some chemicals, it's very safe.

$file/8330-eng%20Nitrous%20oxide.pdf

Reply to
John

Then get the V8.

Forget about NOS. You'll just end up breaking your engine. A GT with a supercharger and other low hanging fruit would be good for well over

400hp in a reliable and relatively safe manner.

It's a pain in the rump to have to constantly refill the bottles and it's not cheap. It's dangerous in that it's really easy to lean things out and damage your engine if you're not very careful. Hardly worth it, when you consider the other safer alternatives. The only advantage it offers is the initial purchase price (which is why it's popular with the teenage ricer set), but that advantage disappears quickly as you start buying bottle after bottle.

A supercharged GT will easily pass emissions tests.

Recaro.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

wow... doom and gloom on the N20...

I'm running 125HP shot in my 2005 V6... I had about 30 passes at 100HP shot... i've only gotten 2 passes with the 125HP shot... Car is holding up just fine..

My calculation says it will take about 7 to 10 years for the cost of refills to be even with a S/C. I pay $2.50 a pound... Also the market is still maturing for F/I on the V6... the N20 was really the only power adder at the time... sure some day I may add a blower or turbo.. but for now it was a great option!

And I'ld hardly call my car a ricer... (ok.. i do have a little neon on it.. but that was when i was young and foolish! LOL!

Done right, N20 can be a very safe and cost effective way to get more power...

Lastest dyno sheets:

car runs low 13's....

Reply to
John S.

What..last year? ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

LOL! Yeah... ya got me! Car is just over a year old.. 29000 miles later...

Reply to
John S.

Unless you forget to turn the heater off and discomboobulate the relief valve. Oh, and tell that guy that "nitro" does not = nitrous...

Reply to
WindsorFox

I have never looked at a NOS kit, I tend to believe in the sage advice "there's no replacement for displacement, so I don't know what safety features they come with. I would hope they have a high pressure or temperature shut-off to disable the heater prior to the relief valve opening, because we're all human.

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

The other annoying thing that people do is to say NOS=N2O. One is a brand name, the other is a gas.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Yeah well, you'd think. You don't remember the pictures a few years ago of the guy that did the above and exploded his garage? LOL!!

Reply to
WindsorFox

No, I missed that one, but at least once a year someone sucks in a tank truck where I work by not opening the manway or a vent valve and the vacuum relief doesn't work!

Reply to
John

Oops, guilty as charged! Is that a southern thing? I do it all the time. Of course that is what all brands strive to do, become synonymous with a product.

Reply to
John

Funny you guys should mention that... Why just this weekend I forgot to turn mine off!! No explosion... just a very dead battery! LOL! The heaters have a thermostat, which keeps the bottles right at 900PSI... if the thermostat should fail then the safety blow off value should hopefully work properly... So it would take 2 failures to explode the bottle... Of course with 2 bottles and 2 heaters I'm not sure my battery would last long enough to get the pressure up high enough to pop the bottle itself... ????

Oh, I try to correct people on the whole NOS is a brand thing... pretty much given up... Losing battle! LOL!

While i agree with "no replacement for displacement", I also subscripe to "make the most of what you've got"... I happen to have a V6.. and dang it I'm going to make the most of it! LOL!

Reply to
John S.