2001 GT Performance Mods - "cross-roads" - performance increase!!

I want to reach out to all you other GT owners and see what has proven to work for you in successfully increasing your horsepower/performance on your "once" stock Mustang GTs?

I am thinking of getting a Diablo Tuner to advance the timing and such to tweak out some more HP and all around "responsiveness" to the throttle! Then...I'm planning on adding a MAC-StraightShot Cold Air intake to assist in opening up the motor even more! (I would imagine I'll have to tune the motor again with the Diablo to adjust for thethis change with the Diablo.)

Has anybody else tried this "combo" of performance mods? Also...how does this "tuner" work? It has to remain hooked up right? Does it run off of the car battery and tucked under the hood or dash? To avoid waisting time and money I'm looking for advise on what has proven to work for all of you out there and what "hasn't" been such a success!

THANKS!

Reply to
BigAl

I dont think the CAI will do you much good performance-wise, maybe 1-2hp max.. The tuners usually re-flash the onboard chip, so you plug them in, program your settings, and then unplug them.

Reply to
japhar81

I am new to the group, but I would like to answer this one :)

I have a 99GT with the following: BBK long tube Headers BBK H pipe with Cats Flowmaster 40 series cat back FRPP pullies MAC cold air intake (fender)

I dyno'd last night at the local shop at 248hp and 290ft-lbs I ordered a Diablo Predator today along with a set of 3.73 gears. If your interested in waiting a week, I will post the results of the tuner on the dyno. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Just for everyone thats kinda new to this stuff... The CAI makes a bigger difference in cases like this because of the high-flow exhaust put on here. (more air in only matters when the engine can push it back out).

Reply to
<japhar81>

And even then it doesn't have THAT big of an impact. The biggest power gains come from engine work (ie heads, cams, etc), forced induction (supercharger, turbocharger), nitrous oxide, etc. Depends on what you are wanting to do with the car. Gears are also a good way to get the car quicker, but mileage on highway will suffer a little.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

I'm "definitely" interested in your results! I am now leaning towards just the Diablo and the same gears! I am a bit suprised on the fact that you only pushed out 248hp with the exhaust and pulley upgrades you already have? I have an 01 and I haven't dyno'd it but was told they produce 260hp stock. I must have been mis-informed or is there a big difference from 99 to 01? I wouldn't think so? My car only has 30K miles on it though too....I really need to find a good shop here in Iowa that can dyno my car and see where I am at and what "true" gains I am making I guess.

Thanks though and YES..definitely let me know your increased results!

Al

Reply to
BigAl

I don't want to go too crazy! My wife will drive this occassionally...she drives a good stick ( hehe ) but I don't want to push things too much where I'm at a point of workig on this all the time! It's a family toy that has never seen rain, sleet or snow! I'm just looking for ~15-20hp gain is all and with that...a more "responsive" throttle (i.e. when you rev the motor up and let down on the peddle...i'd like the motor to react to that in a more REAL TIME than delayed...make sense??) I am new though and may be trying to do something that will not be the best for me?

Thanks for your response! Anything else you'd like to add..send it on over!

THX Al

Reply to
BigAl

Keep in mind that the advertised 260hp is at the flywheel. With an 18% loss through the drivetrain (which is reasonable) that would be 292hp at the flywheel and

342ft-lbs :) That's a 32hp and 42ft-lbs gain over stock, which is not too bad.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Thanks Jason! Yeah...that now makes sense! YES...quite the difference. Man...I wouldn't think that the exhaust would really make that much difference. But like "Japhar81" said...intake increase is only cashed-in "if" it's able to let OUT the extra taken IN. I'm learn'n......! Thanks. I'll eagerly await for your new dyno measurements.

Reply to
BigAl

Save the money you would spend making all the minor changes and go for the best bolt on, the supercharger. You don't have to shoot for 200 extra HP but it's nice to know you can turn up the boost when you get ready to. I say bolt on a blower because some of those other parts will come off if you ever decide to supercharge. It's what every Mustang owner will do eventually.

Reply to
Steelawesome

Hey Jason! How did you come out with the tuner and gears??

Reply to
BigAl

Hey! Not bad. I have dyno time this Sat. The tuner definately made a difference on the seat of the pants dyno :). It pulls stronger and third gear doesn't feel as 'dead' compared to first and second. The data logging alone is almost worth the price to me. It allows you to view stuff such as fuel rail pressure, spark advance, intake air temp and about a thousand other things in real time either on the tuner, or on a laptop. I haven't installed the gears yet because I wanted to get the car tuned first. As soon as its done with the dyno, I'll have the gears installed. I'll post the before and after results as soon as I get em.

Reply to
Jason