throttle body change

tried to change to a 65 mm throttlebody on my 86 stang and it does not like it. idling bad rpm jumping and some backfiring smells like it wants to run rich

Reply to
wannabe

Changing something like the throttle body on engines that don't have mass air metering (you should have a speed density system) can cause problems like you list. You might need to have a chip burned to compensate for the change in airflow through the larger throttle body.

As a side note, unless you have done other modifications to increase airflow after the throttle body you won't see much of a benefit from it. Especially if you are still using the stock heads and cam. You probably are or you would have even worse engine problems. If you plan to keep modding the engine you should just switch it over to a mass air system and be done with it. It will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Ehh, I don't think you can do that on an 86

Reply to
WindsorFox