O.T. - Calf law aginst 'black boxes'...

Privacy Law in California Shields Drivers By MATTHEW L. WALD
ASHINGTON, Sept. 22 - California today adopted the nation's first law meant
to protect the privacy of drivers whose cars are equipped with "black boxes," or data recorders that can be used to gather vital information on how a vehicle is being driven in the last seconds before a crash.
Gov. Gray Davis signed the law, which takes effect on July 1, requiring carmakers to disclose the existence of such devices and forbidding access to the data without either a court order or the owner's permission, unless it is for a safety study in which the information cannot be traced back to the car.
More than 25 million cars and trucks have the boxes that measure speed, air-bag deployment and the use of brakes, seat belts and turn signals. But California's privacy law is the first of its kind, says Thomas M. Kowalick, co-chairman of a committee convened by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers to set standards for the boxes. Most of the recorders are on General Motors vehicles, but Ford and others have deployed some. Other manufacturers have plans to do the same.
The police in South Dakota sought information from such a recorder to determine whether Bill Janklow, a member of the House of Representatives and a former governor of the state, had run a stop sign and was speeding on Aug. 16 when he hit and killed a motorcycle rider near Flandreau. But Maj. James Carpenter of the South Dakota Highway Patrol said that because the car was not a recent model - it was a 1995 Cadillac - it had limited information.
The California bill was introduced by Tim Leslie, a Republican assemblyman, who contended that the devices were installed without the owner's knowledge or consent and that the information they gathered should be subject to the same legal protections as provided by the Fourth Amendment for other kinds of private information. He compared it to the process for getting permission to tap a telephone.
Mr. Leslie's legislative director, Kevin O'Neill, said in a telephone interview that in the case of a crash that resulted in civil litigation or criminal prosecution, the data would be obtainable by court order. But the information should be protected by a process, Mr. O'Neill said
begin 666 w.gif M1TE&.#EA+@`A`,0``/_____O[_?>WN_.SN^]O>>MK=Z<G-Z,C-:$A,YS<\YC M8\924KU"0KTQ,;4A(:T0$*T````````````````````````````````````` M`````````````````````````"'Y! $`````+ `````N`"$`0 7_8$",) F< M*"J4I)"^[!B@`63?]@/CO&V\CI[K=6KT;(%!#W X_HPX'9&8..(<KX+UUIAZ
MD#T)GSB\`'4\#FXWEE\"AQ"A*)A6!8HIQ96B>034+Z,\TU.L/7->-59_1,$\ M9U-J."BI1^LOS%9#+^DWSR?6//8H55;DJ>A!Z,0L'))2E-OB#P`^']B.C#L! M;XM >C@<O6B'H].)9O8>0OB&SHHV)LW66F&\X9'(0AZ.^$$@$ Z'"X X)DZI MZ.W@&(XV%+RTD1"-3$31QMWBL?1&PRD'(PT\)!!-MWHI1/8XI\A7P!=#=VU# ;T50(E2T%MZVDY66+OK$`</+@FF*3,30A```[ ` end
begin 666 spacer.gif M1TE&.#EA!0`%`( ``,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````%``4```($A(^I6 `[ ` end
Yea... well... if you read the newspapers out here, it's a whole nother story. The insurance copmpanies want the info, the police want the info and even ex's want the info.
Typical California....
yup, sure glad we only have a few months left here.
Kate
| Privacy Law in California Shields Drivers | By MATTHEW L. WALD | | | ASHINGTON, Sept. 22 - California today adopted the nation's first law meant | to protect the privacy of drivers whose cars are equipped with "black | boxes," or data recorders that can be used to gather vital information on | how a vehicle is being driven in the last seconds before a crash. | | Advertisement | | | Gov. Gray Davis signed the law, which takes effect on July 1, requiring | carmakers to disclose the existence of such devices and forbidding access to | the data without either a court order or the owner's permission, unless it | is for a safety study in which the information cannot be traced back to the | car. | | More than 25 million cars and trucks have the boxes that measure speed, | air-bag deployment and the use of brakes, seat belts and turn signals. But | California's privacy law is the first of its kind, says Thomas M. Kowalick, | co-chairman of a committee convened by the Institute of Electrical and | Electronics Engineers to set standards for the boxes. Most of the recorders | are on General Motors vehicles, but Ford and others have deployed some. | Other manufacturers have plans to do the same. | | The police in South Dakota sought information from such a recorder to | determine whether Bill Janklow, a member of the House of Representatives and | a former governor of the state, had run a stop sign and was speeding on Aug. | 16 when he hit and killed a motorcycle rider near Flandreau. But Maj. James | Carpenter of the South Dakota Highway Patrol said that because the car was | not a recent model - it was a 1995 Cadillac - it had limited information. | | The California bill was introduced by Tim Leslie, a Republican assemblyman, | who contended that the devices were installed without the owner's knowledge | or consent and that the information they gathered should be subject to the | same legal protections as provided by the Fourth Amendment for other kinds | of private information. He compared it to the process for getting permission | to tap a telephone. | | Mr. Leslie's legislative director, Kevin O'Neill, said in a telephone | interview that in the case of a crash that resulted in civil litigation or | criminal prosecution, the data would be obtainable by court order. But the | information should be protected by a process, Mr. O'Neill said | | |

on
access
it
But
was
information.
the
kinds
or
the
Another good reason to pick up a 65' and restore it :)

requiring
unless
speed,
some.
Representatives
on
litigation
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:46:17 GMT, "SVTKate"
nother

even
Aww.. c'mon Kate..Don't ya wanna stay and see who the governator is?
Can't wait to see how the Shwarzenator runs the state! Mandatory drug testing to make sure everyone is ON steroids...all schools thrugh graduate degree programs required to have 3 hours of phys ed per day..Austrian would become a required language in high school....just think of the possibilites!
Matt

Is there an Austrian language? I thought they spoke German.
at 24 Sep 2003, Fred Brown [ snipped-for-privacy@hushedmail.com] wrote in

Like the Canadians speak English. :-) There is a difference...
--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

at 28 Sep 2003, Blue88LX [ snipped-for-privacy@home.com] wrote in

you just proved the point, eh. :-)
--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

Good, then maybe other states would follow this lead and there wouldn't be so many overweight kids and parents....thus lowering health care costs, leaving more money for the school system, etc. Hell, just cut it down to an hour and that should do it.
Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:59:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@someemailaddress.notcom wrote:

Don't forget the mandatory pot smoking and group sex... :)
--
Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.
- Friedrich von Schiller

meant
the
Kowalick,
recorders
and
Aug.
James
assemblyman,
knowledge
permission
If one is in an accident, I wonder just how difficult it would be for the other party, or the police, to get such a court order?
Remember, these "black boxes" only save their info when the air bags are deployed, and then, only the last few moments of data just before that. It isn't like an insurance company could download all the times you exceeded 100 mph over the past year.
Ralph Snart wrote:

Yet... just wait. Insurance companies will be after this like Oprah after cake. What better way to deny a claim than to be able to prove that the owner of a car often used full throttle acceleration! and sometimes, even exceeded the lawful speed limit! GASP!

It only records if you had used full throttle acceleration or exceeded the speed limit, for the last few moments before an accident. NOT over the lifetime of the car.