octane rating for new 5.0 Mustang

I just got a new 5.0. The dealer said I can use 87 octane fine, but
the manual says to use 92 for "best performance". Does the engine
detune itself with octane ratings under 92, does it really matter,
etc?
Please replace the "NoSpam" with "verizonbusiness" in my email address in order
to reply.
snipped-for-privacy@NoSpam.com Systems Engineer
Reply to
Joe Granto
Given it's control systems I believe it would not make it's max hp with 87(R+M)/2 octane. The question then is would a driver feel the difference in ordinary street driving? My guess is no. Since you have the car, you can always experiment and find out. Reporting back to the group of course...
Reply to
Brent
No, I reply to the group. If you want a personal reply, too bad.
You will get more power with 92 octane, but, unless you push the car hard enough to notice the difference, you won't notice the difference.
Jeff
Reply to
dr_jeff
The engine produces 412 HP/390 lb-ft of torque with 91 octane, and makes 402 HP/377 lb-ft torque with 87.
Patrick
Reply to
NoOp
NoOp wrote in news:57cfc1f4-b5cb-410a-b785- snipped-for-privacy@g26g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:
Would that the premium fuel cost was only 2.5% more. :)
Reply to
Rich
I knew you would pop up with something wrong when I saw the subject and saw you posted.
It's obvious that premium did more work in the specifications above, HP is a direct measure of ability to do work and the numbers are there in black and white. Go ask any engineer if you don't believe me.
Reply to
Dick Cheney
Try again: power is the rate at which you can do work. So a Mustang can do work 2.5% faster with 93 octane gas compared with 87 octane. Regardless of how fast you go from one street corner to the next, the amount of work done is the same, even if it takes you 0.5 s less time.
Jeff
Reply to
dr_jeff
If I go from point A to B through a worm hole, would I have used more energy if I just got there in a conventional way? This is why I drive the speed of light, saves gas! ;)
Reply to
GILL
Wrong. Try reading a 6th grade science book. When I took my physics courses in high school and college, I got A's.
and
describe the difference between work and power. You can also use wikipedia. If I am incorrect, support your claim in a way better than, "ask an engineer" or kindergarten-like name-calling.
Jeff
Reply to
dr_jeff

Site Timeline Threads