Toughest car question ever posed

What vehicle did this instrument panel come out of?
http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/131689498

Rich wrote:

Wow, that's a stumper. 160 mph speedo without the equivalent KPM markings, 7000 rpm red line, and what appears to be a display of gear selection on an automatic transmission. I'm intrigued, Dick

The one I got was 140mph. Look at the odometer.
D E Willson wrote:

Oops, my bad. 140 it is.

Something from the 70s or early 80s. Probably not US made. It's got that plain because we make only a few of these a year look but there's an AT gear selector... but it's PROA21... Maybe German, not sure. PROA21 searches tend to turn up German car owners.
That's as close as I can get.
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 18:11:24 -0800, Rich rearranged some electrons to say:

My guess: VW something.

Possibly. I saw this at a surplus place, it looks new, like it came from a dealer and wasn't used.

Likely Beemer. Not sure what year.

Post it at alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Those guys will have it in minutes.
--