OT: Chrysler fumbles HEMI ball, horribly

Seems that the only thing they have going for them is the Neon SRT-4. With a universally known and revered symbol like the Hemi, they could have offered a decent 2-door sports or muscle car with the hemi, instead of a rough-riding pickup, a dull Intrepid retread, a hearse-looking station wagon and the premiere gay vehicle, the Jeep.

From Autoweek:

Hemi power, rear-drive cars highlight Chrysler's '04 products

By RICK KRANZ | Automotive News

DETROIT -- The Chrysler group will use powerful engines, two rear-drive cars and two convertibles in its product offensive in 2004.

A V-8 engine, dubbed the Hemi by company marketers, will play a starring role next year as the company tries to make good on its turnaround plan. It will launch nine new, redesigned or freshened vehicles through the end of next year.

"At the end of the day you cannot win the game just on defense," said CEO Dieter Zetsche. "You cannot win it just with cost reductions. You have to be successful on the revenue side, and for revenue, you only can be successful with product."

The Hemi V-8 will be offered in three of the nine products, the 2005 Chrysler 300, the 2005 Dodge Magnum and the 2005 Grand Cherokee.

2005 Chrysler 300 Zetsche calls the 300C sedan "the new flagship of the Chrysler brand. With the Hemi engine, well equipped, it will be priced below $35,000." Chrysler estimates 0 to 60 mph acceleration in 6.3 seconds for a car equipped with the optional 340-hp 5.7-liter Hemi V-8. The "C" designation will only be given to cars with the Hemi engine.

Zetsche said the base model 300 sedan, equipped with a 2.7-liter V-6, will start at about $25,000.

The 300 replaces the Concorde and the 300 M sedans. Sales begin in April.

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible The PT Cruiser's convertible will go on sale in March. Zetsche said the "pretty stiff body structure will minimize mirror shake," adding that it will be "the most quiet convertible in the segment."

The car will feature a pass-through under the convertible top. With the rear seats folded forward, long narrow objects can be carried inside the car.

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited The Wrangler Unlimited will be 15 inches longer than a conventional Wrangler, resulting in 2 inches more rear seat space and 13 inches of additional cargo space. To achieve the extra room, the wheelbase is stretched 10 inches.

Additionally, the Wrangler's towing capability is increased to 3,500 pounds and off-road capability is improved. Sales begin in April.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee The redesigned Grand Cherokee goes on sale in October. Among the product highlights: the Hemi V-8; four-wheel-drive with electronically limited slip differential, and the addition of independent front suspension. The Hemi V-8, the first used in a Jeep vehicle, will provide 47 percent more power than the V-8 in the 2004 model.

2005 Dodge Magnum The wagon, with the optional 340-hp, 5.7-liter Hemi V-8, will go from

0 to 60 mph in 6.3 seconds. It will be positioned as a performance vehicle, not a traditional family wagon.

Options include all-wheel drive, electronic stability control, navigation system, hands-free telephone system and self-sealing tires. Sales begin in May.

Both the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum share components with the Mercedes-Benz E class, such as the automatic transmission, electrical architecture and steering column.

Reply to
Richard

Richard, you're a freaking troll.

snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Richard) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

station

brand.

$35,000."

electronically

electrical

Reply to
Joe

I don't think the automakers believe the 2-door sports/muscle car market is big enough to worry about. And not worth the bother and money to challenge the Champ of the segment, the Mustang. Although, GM is going to try again with new Camaro around 2007.

As for the Chrysler cars getting the Hemi, I personally LOVE the Magnum wagon! What a kick-ass looking car! And I like the 300C too! Styling wise it's the complete opposite of the Intrepid. Hemi V8, RWD, sedan body, sounds like winner to me.

The Jeep is a SUV... in other words, a soccer-mom vehicle. Might as well drive a mini van...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

You just figured that out? StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Nah, it's just the first time I posted it.

"Stuart&Janet" wrote in news:aP6dndFdJq- snipped-for-privacy@golden.net:

Reply to
Joe

I can't wait to get my hands on the Magnum hopefully by then Dodge will have the "bugs" worked out of the Hemi. I was working at Dodge last spring when the first few Hemi's came in with a check engine light and a blown intake manifold. The engineers came out to inspect the vehicle and the parts came right out of the factory. It's amazing what you see when you work at a dealership. =(

Reply to
Sustang

Sorry to insult your truck.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Richard) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You didn't insult my truck (or me) at all. You just don't have a clue.

Joe