OT: Help my Ranger!

My '83 Ranger with the gutless wonder (2.8v6) blew a headgasket, so I will be changing them out this week. I've never done headgaskets, so ANY tips would be appreciated! Such as DONT DO THIS, and DO THIS!

TIA guys, anything helps.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

It's really not a difficult process, and the average guy should be able to do. If Joe-Bubba Redneck can do it in the front yard of his trailer, so can you. Buy a good service manual. Follow it to the letter. Pay careful attention to small details - all of them. Mark every wire and vacuum hose before removal. DO NOT use duct tape and a sharpie marker (ask me why). draw diagrams of where wires and hoses go. Draw diagrams of how the accessory brackets go on. Use a camera (digital is best) to photo how things go - take many pictures during the process. Stay organized. Use ziplock bags to hold bags of bolts and nuts. Label them carefully. Know what to replace and what to re-use. Head bolts should be replaced. Accessory bolts should not. Calculate how long it will take you to do it. Multiply by 2. If the parts/tool store is more than 30 minutes away, multiply by 3. Take your time, and don't get in a hurry. Plan on making at least one trip to the parts store in the middle of the job. Usually takes two trips. Wear mechanics gloves. I've treated many shade tree mechanics in the ER who've ripped their knuckles open when a bolt finally lets go. That's a real time/money waster. Makes those gloves really cheap. It's a big job, and takes a lot of hours to do it right. If you mess something up, don't sweat it. Just go back and do it right. Make sure you eat and drink during all that time. Above all, relax and have a good time.

Reply to
.boB

I'm not Bob, but I work in an ER too. EMT right now in Nursing school starting in Aug.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I'm a PA. I'm the guy who does most of the stitching. Seen some really nasty knuckle busters from working on old cars. Some folks end up in the OR with a hand surgeon. Another good trick is use an open palm to push on the wrench. Much fewer injuries when it finally lets go.

Reply to
.boB

Don't use any sealants or anything. Do torque in the sequence specified in a Haynes manual. Do clean the surfaces decent beforehand. That's about all there is to it. Head gaskets are generally no big deal. And, when in doubt, just tell yourself, "Well, I can't make the engine any worse," and have at it.

Reply to
Brad