91 300 problem Please Help!

I just purchased a 91 300 coupe non-turbo and it has 127000 miles on it. I was driving it today and the Engine started reving up and down and the RPMs started going crazy. The car did shut off and would not crank. I towed it home and then tried to crank it and it cranked up and ran fine like nothing happened. I drove it down the street and back it rode fine. I am going to replace the timing belt before I ride again since I'm not sure if it was replaced at 120000. I don't think that is what caused the problem though. I'm thinking it may be the mass air sensor after reading others problems. Could someone shed a little light on this problem since this is the first z car I've owned. I do have a copy of the service manual on cd. Thanks!

Reply to
TommyTunes

Has it had the ignition moduel update? If it has, there will be a "subharness" tie wrapped to the upper radiator hose. This was a common problem.

Good idea but you're right, this isn't the problem. MAS's aren't a common problem but I have replaed a couple over the years.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm in Ga also and next time in in atlanta I may stop by your shop. Do you have any Ideas on where to look for this problem?? I don't trust the guys in my area to work on this car since I have friends with them that got charged 1300.00 just to replace a 30.00 timing belt. I have done Belts on Honda and Dodge and this one doesn't look to be a problem to replace. Any tips would be appreciated!!

Reply to
TommyTunes

Yea a belt job should be more like $350-$400 and no it's not that tough. Again first thing is find out of the ign module has had the "recall" done. They were a big enough problem that nissan was replacing them for free.

Reply to
Steve T