OT: How did u find this NG

I had a 300 baud modem hooked up to my VIC 20!!

Reply to
Peter Gunn

My 300 was so basic that you had to dial the number with the telephone, and place the handset into the acoustic modem's handset reciever. Any extraneous noice cause severe problems....we used X-modem as the protocol, and old duffers like BIll S. can tell you, there was no error correction. I was online 8 hrs to download a (very simple) Star Trek game - all text and no graphics.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

How about 100 baud with an old Tandy CoCo with chicklet keys and a cassette recorder for storage. I've been at this since about 80 with an apple kit my wife and kids bought for me one Christmas thinking it was for ham radio.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

No problem I won't tell them you do photo retouching. |;-)

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

You've got me beat. 300 was as slow as I got, but my very first computer was a Tandy some-piece-of-crap with chiklet keys, 4K of memory, and a cassette recrder for storage and backup. OS was BASIC, and there was no way to connect to the phone system. I think that I got this piece of technological wizardry in 1982.

As for ham, I use to have a general ticket back in the 80's; I could be found roaming the 20, 40 and 80 meter band. I'd get back into the hobby except my home is in the middle of a subdivison, and I don't think that my neighbors would appreciate a 60 foot tower with a 60 foot horizontal antenea....

Would be nice to chat with Art Bell on 80 one night....

Reply to
Ralph Snart

at 14 Jul 2003, Silver Stang [ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] wrote in news:NwzQa.8649$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc04.gnilink.net:

Opened my newsserver, selected 'all groups' and did a search on 'mustang'. 30 seconds later I was here. :-)

Reply to
Paul

at 14 Jul 2003, Ralph Snart [ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net] wrote in news:4LBQa.60114$N7.7349@sccrnsc03:

Been there. Home-built even. hardwired, not the even older, cup over phone handset tupe. But yeah, it did 300 and 1200/75, had 3 flip switches and a selector wheel on the front to set the speed and mode. It was fun though...

Reply to
Paul

Joe Cilinceon opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

Ah HA! ' Anyone actually SEEN Kate's car in person? :)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My story is Michael's to a T. Only difference is that I now use Xnews instead of Netscape, and I read the text groups through news.cis.dfn.de.

"Michael Johnson, P.E." wrote in news:bev1bc$6fk$ snipped-for-privacy@bob.news.rcn.net:

Reply to
Joe

I'd imagine it would be pretty easy for you to find it considering you were the one to create it, lol.

Reply to
Phyrestang

wow I wanna see it ...

Reply to
Silver Stang

At least someone got it.......................

Bill S.

Phyrestang wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Ahhh...good ole Radio Shack's TRS-80 with 16K of RAM and the fabled tape recorder and no modem! Now, that brings back nightmares!!

Reply to
Greg B.

Reply to
Bill S.

sorry man I am relevantly new to this NG .... but u da maaaaan!

Reply to
Silver Stang

Now we talkin Greg !

Reply to
Silver Stang

Donate it to your local college so they can put in the 'Computer Museum'. That's what I did with the Tandy, complete with cassette recorder. It sits in the LeCont (real name) Building at the University of South Carolina. It was moved out of my house, and I got a tax credit for 200 bucks for my 'donation'. Let the kids of today see how the 'old duffers' did it. TRS-80's were just one step above FORTRAN punch cards....

Reply to
Ralph Snart

nope, he's MUCH too young for me, BUT... my hubby IS an Irishman!

I like 'em older and more experienced.

Kate

| > I thought it was pretty neat... they are great kids. | >

| > K | >

| | |

Reply to
SVTKate

we got it Bill... just wanted to watch you scratch and sniff for a minute ;¬)

Kate

| >>I'll never tell...................LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | >>

| >>Bill S. | >>

| > I'd imagine it would be pretty easy for you to find it considering you | > were the one to create it, lol. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

LOL... Joe, c'mere so I can poke you!

Kate