OT: How did u find this NG

Just curious....how did all of you end up finding this newsgroup ? Obviously there has to be a little geek in all of you to know about news servers and think of finding a Mustang NG on it .... ??

This place is the best resource for amateaurs like me ...

- SS

Reply to
Silver Stang

Been using electronic bulletin boards since before I could drive. Also, I was on the internet before all the niffty PPP and SLIP - which means before web browsers. So, I was introduced to the Net back when the servers where gopher, veronica, archie, ftp, news, and other text based stuff.

By the time I got my '95GT, I was using web boards to get info. However, they seem to lack the thorough responses and expertise of the posters in this newsgroup. For me, it's easier and quicker to find and follow threads using my text base newsgroup reader, than any web-based board I've seen. Also, it's a lot easier to hide a shell window with text on it from the boss, than a browser window with pretty Mustang graphics ;)

--Larry

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Email since Reagan, and there's people out there that would consider me a newbie!

Reply to
Larry Dennis

lol thats funny man ...

Reply to
Silver Stang

Pretty simple, anyone familiar with newsgroups would simply call up their newsgroups list and type in Ford or Mustang. Either would find any groups with those words in the name. With over 100,000 groups there is a pretty good chance there is a group on any subject. Of course your server might not carry all groups.

Reply to
Fred Brown

One day the newsreader fetched a new newsgroup called rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Reply to
Brent P

Several years ago... when I got my first computer and the (then) brand new

14.4 modem was considered the hottest thing anyone had ever seen, I found my first NG by stumbling through the internet. I met a young man in Ireland through a newsgroup. He taught me tons about computers and networking and the relatively unexplored internet. It was still a bit of a challenge to get to then, nothing like today. Setting up dialup was a pain in the arse and accessing the WWW was a pretty big deal.

He taught me the value of newsgroups, and I have cruised through them ever since looking for information on almost any topic you could think of. It was a natural thing to look for one when I wanted info on Mustangs. Newsgroups seem to be a bit more civilized than chat (been there, done that) and generally a bit more cerebral.

Interestingly enough, I gave the young Irishman a nickname, which attracted a young Arizona lady's attention. They began messaging through the NG and then emailing. He immigrated to the US about 5 years ago. They are married now and have two beautiful little girls and live in Oregon. Wonderful family! We still hear from them at Christmas time.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I'll never tell...................LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill S.

Silver Stang wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Blame it on SVTKate as she mentioned to me in a Graphics group.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Larry Dennis opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain:

Hmmm.. never made that connection. I was looking at Web sites, primitive as they were, using Mosaic in a corporate net.

Then played with various versions of slip then PPP so we could do the same on a data PBX or dial-up. So I always thought they were a mechanism to allow TCP/IP over a serial link... but what do I know..

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Silver Stang opined in news:NwzQa.8649$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc04.gnilink.net:

I THINK it was from the old "Fordnatics" mail list...there was also a Mustang maillist... dont really remember.

Been reading and annoying others on these lists since 94 or so, under a different handle... a Troll on alt.autos.ford gave me this one a couple years ago. Annoyed him alltohell when I started using it.

OR

I may have just typed in Mustang

in newsgroup client... Prolly Netscape at the time.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

SVTKate opined

Hmmm..new 14.4 = A"few"? That would be about 95 or 96.

;)

I dont like to think about that either.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I've been playing with computers since 1983, been online since 1984; started with a Kaypro CP/M machine, used a 300 baud acoustic modem, started by logging onto private BBS'es; started with FidoNet, then became a sysop for WWIV in 1990. We actually had a sub (aka NG's today) for HiPo Cars, and a Mustang sub. In 1992, I started using the internet via the University that I was attending; started with Mosaic, then in 1994, started with AOL (that was the only ISP available in my neck of the woods then); paid 19.95 for basic service and had to pay by the hour for other services, like Newsgroups.

I found RAMFM in 1997 or 1998; my old BBS'ing buddy White Tornado told me about it, and the rest is history...

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Been there, done that, have the headaches to prove it...

If people think that NG's are a flamer's paradise, then wait until they use a chatroom. I haven't been a chatroom since 1996.

Damned Kate, you're gonna bring tears to my eyes; that's really sweet.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Try 300 baud. Now that's ancient.....

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Ralph,

You beat me...the slowest I had was 1200...

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Ah, the 300 baud. My first MODEM. Burned it out, and was off line until I could save up enough money for a 1200.

--Larry

-------------------------------------------------------------------- It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper. -- Rod Serling

Reply to
Larry Dennis

I thought it was pretty neat... they are great kids.

SVTKate

Shhhh Joe... don't tell 'em where I hide out on my off time LOL

Kate

| > This place is the best resource for amateaurs like me ... | >

| > - SS | >

Reply to
SVTKate

I have to check Goggle's Rec. Boats NG every day to see if any customers are slamming the company I work for, (C-MAP/USA) or need help with our products. So I just searched for Mustang and the rest is history.

Martin 2002GT 5spd K&N, Hurst Billet Plus shifter AutoMeter Lunar Gauge cluster 1986 Fiero GT 4spd

Reply to
Martin

In another newsgroup (alt.music.rush), someone did a poll of other newsgroups frequented. One was rec.autos.makers... I figured it there was one for his car, then there would probably be one for mine.

I think this is a great resource, too.

- Max - ======= Max said to them, "Come and have breakfast." None of them ventured to question him, "Who are you?" knowing that it was Max. -- Max 21:12

Reply to
Max C. Webster III