OT: Irony

I always ask jokingly, "Why do people want to live on streets named after burning trees".

I feel kind of bad now.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I don't think any here save 3 might have registrations on that website.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

Can you post the text? or is a pic necessary. I don't want to register.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Fire began with paint; 5 injured

2004-06-25 By Diana Baldwin The Oklahoman

Fire destroyed W. Ray Pelfrey?s dream home Thursday, just 10 days before he and his wife were to move in. It was a house they started the day after the May 8, 2003, tornado destroyed their home. Damage to the 9,000-plus-square-foot house in southeast Oklahoma City was estimated at more than $1 million.

The fire started in the master bedroom where a painter was working with lacquer, Oklahoma City fire Maj. Brian Stanaland said.

Michael Grice, the lead painter, injured his left ankle when he jumped from a second story window as the fire broke out in the plush home at 11020 Burning Oaks Road near SE 44 and Westminster Road.

Four firefighters were injured. Three of them were hurt when a ceiling collapsed. One firefighter went to the hospital with a shoulder injury and the other two had minor injuries.

Another firefighter went to the hospital with heat exhaustion.

Pelfrey, a real estate investor, and his wife, Rosemarie, were in Reno, Nev., when the 11:20 a.m. fire broke out.

Martin Pena, construction project manager, said, ?He (Ray Pelfrey) told me before he left he wanted to see something special when he returned.?

Jesse Pelfrey, a son, said he talked to his father on the telephone about the fire.

?He was very upset,? Pelfrey said. ?He said it was a good thing they hadn?t moved in.

?He slept on an air mattress last week. That?s how much he loved this house.?

Water was a problem for firefighters because there were no hydrants in the area. Firefighters had to transport water from about 1½ miles away, Stanaland said.

?About 45 to 50 minutes after we arrived, we ran out of water,? Stanaland said. ?That?s what happens in the rural areas.

?You have to shuttle water. It takes more crews on the scene, and you have to work harder.?

Firefighters estimated they used between 25,000 and 26,000 gallons of water.

Thick black smoke could be seen 15 miles away.

?The smoke was so thick it blocked the sun,? Stanaland said. ?At one point, the flames were 30 feet in the air.?

Painter Cecil Cox, one of three people inside the house when the fire started, said earlier in the day they had been outside talking about the dangers of lacquer.

?Mike said if he ever yelled fire, he was not kidding,? Cox said.

Just hours later, Cox said, ?I heard him screaming ?fire, fire.??

?It happened so fast,? Cox said. ?I ran out and hooked up the water hose. It was already too late. There was nothing we could do.?

Ken McGeachy, the trim carpenter, said, ?I got a bucket and threw some water on it. I knew it was way too big. We got out of the house.?

McGeachy was cutting a piece of granite for the bathroom when the fire started.

The house was attached to a garage and 5,000-square-foot barn. A new grand piano was destroyed in the music room.

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

there is an aerial photo in todays paper. luckily the garage and barn were saved.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

Even more Irony, I cant read the story without registering...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Thanks for the post. Ya gotta feel bad for that family. 2 houses in a row. Maybe they should just rent an apartment for awhile.

Reply to
66 6F HCS