OT: Waxy film on winshield (causes?)

This has been annoying me for a while. My windshield keeps getting f--- up with some film that causes a lot of glare on rainy nights. I sprayed a half can of wax remover on it (both sides) and it is still bad. I don't know what else to do ( also tried Windex, Dawn, vinegar, Coke, Clorox)...

Thanks Roger

2K GT 'vert
Reply to
roger

Are you, or anyone else who drives the car, a smoker?

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I think that with all of the plastics in the cabin you get a film on the inside of the windshield. As the dash gets hot from being in the sun a reaction takes place. Happens to my GT and my Ranger. I don't smoke.

Reply to
Martin

Try Rainex

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Even if you are a non smoker, you will get that film on the inside of your windows. I believe it comes either from the heat/ac system or from the plastics as earlier stated or both.

Try this: Use Windex, BUT, add about three tablespoons of rubbing alcohol to the bottle before you wash your windows. It helps cut the crud and helps prevent streaking, Also, there is a product called Invisible Glass that works quite well. You can get it at places like Pep Boys.

Use a lint free cloth to clean your windows (they are called glass cloths) not paper towells. When you wash those lint free cloths, use hot water and bleach, do NOT use fabric softener, either in the washer or dryer. Paper towels work fine BUT not the super soft kind. The cheaper ones have a coarser texture and they seem to work better on glass. Less lint, more absorption.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

| > Thanks | > Roger | > 2K GT 'vert | >

| | Try Rainex | | -- | YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are | a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate

Reply to
SVTKate

I use Invisible Glass. I take one full page from an old newspaper, crumple it up real good, then flatten it out and refold it to a manageable size, and use that to dry my windows. The printers ink is a good solvent too.

Reply to
John

I use it too. "Stoner Brand". Available at walmart even. About $4-$5/can, but it works great.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant
Reply to
<memset

The good news is....after nine years or so...the offending gases are all leeched out, and the problem goes away :-)

Reply to
tom

That's bullcrap, I know people in their 40s' and 50's that still have PLENTY of gas to let out!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Zep makes a product called "Streakout 40" thats works great. We use it on our transit buses and it takes off almost everything.

Go to

and do a search for product number 0084 Good luck and Merry Christmas to everyone.

David

Reply to
CrazyDave

I resemble that remark.....

Reply to
tom

The stuff that makes up the film is coming from several things. I'll cover a few I know of. Maybe others know more than these.

Monomers are reacted into polymers to make all the relatively inexpensive and lightweight plastic and rubber components that FoMoCo and other companies use to reduce cost and weight to get better gas mileage, both of which we all like very much. :-) Unfortunately, nothing is perfect, reactions do not always go to 100% conversion to the desired end product, and there is always unreacted monomers, dimers (a molecule made from two monomers), trimers, etc. that can diffuse/migrate out of the component and evaporate. :-( Usually, these chemicals are in very, very small concentrations in a cars interior, but it doesn't take much for us to smell them (that new car aroma) or see them (as a thin film on the windows).

Sometimes plasticizers are added to relatively rigid plastics to make them more flexible and resilient. These plasticizers can diffuse/migrate out of the component and evaporate too. Over time as this deplastization progresses, these components get more brittle and can crack/break.

Plastic and rubber components degrade. The polymer molecules get broken into smaller molecules. The smallest of these may have sufficient mobility and volitility to "degas" out of the component. Stabilizers and inhibitors are added to slow this, but again, nothings perfect.

Being organic based, I think Kate's suggestion of adding rubbing alcohol would help.

If it's really bad. I have washed windows with a rag dampened with #1 Kerosene and dryed them with old newspapers. If it's organic based, this'll probably cut it. Lots of ventilation is a must! Oh yeah, no smoking while doing this!

A trick my scuba instructor told me on a new mask was rub some toothpaste on it and then rinse it off. Cuts the film with minimal scratching. You might want to test a small spot to see if it works, because your windows are a helluva lot bigger than my scuba mask Not very practical at that scale, unless it's the "cat's meow". I'd go the kerosene route before doing this though.

Reply to
John

around and across so that he looks like he?s crawling. Glaze, then arrange pineapples and secure with cloves. Bake uncovered in 350° oven till thermometer reaches 160°.

Cajun Babies

Just like crabs or crawfish, babies are boiled alive! You don?t need silverware, the hot spicy meat comes off in your hands.

6 live babies 1 lb. smoked sausage 4 lemons whole garlic 2 lb. new potatoes 4 ears corn 1 box salt crab boil

Bring 3 gallons of water to a boil. Add sausage, salt, crab boil, lemons and garlic. Drop potatoes in, boil for 4 minutes. Corn is added next, boil an additional 11 minutes. Put the live babies into the boiling water and cover. Boil till meat comes off easily with a fork.

Oven-Baked Baby-Back Ribs

Beef ribs or pork ribs can be used in this recipe, and that is exactly what your dinner guests will assume! An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks 3 cups barbecue sauce or honey glaze (see index) Salt black pepper white pepper paprika

Remove the silverskin by loosening from the edges, then stripping off. Season ge

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

minutes. Corn is added next, boil an additional 11 minutes. Put the live babies into the boiling water and cover. Boil till meat comes off easily with a fork.

Oven-Baked Baby-Back Ribs

Beef ribs or pork ribs can be used in this recipe, and that is exactly what your dinner guests will assume! An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks 3 cups barbecue sauce or honey glaze (see index) Salt black pepper white pepper paprika

Remove the silverskin by loosening from the edges, then stripping off. Season generously, rubbing the mixture into the baby?s flesh. Place 1 quart water in a baking pan, the meat on a wire rack. Bake uncovered in 250° oven for 1½ hours. When browned, remove and glaze, return to oven and bake 20 minutes more to form a glaze. Cut ribs into individual pieces and serve with extra sauce.

Fresh Sausage

If it becomes necessary to hide the fact that you are eating human babies, this is the perfect solution. But if you are still paranoid, you can substitute pork butt.

5 lb. lean chuck roast 3 lb. prime baby butt 2 tablespoons each: salt black, white and cayenne peppers celery salt garlic powder parsley flakes brown sugar 1 teaspoon sage 2 onions 6 cloves garlic bunch green onions, chopped

Cut the children?s butts and the beef roast into

Reply to
John

bread is always available.

2 cleaned fetuses, head on 2 eggs 1 tablespoon yellow mustard 1 cup seasoned flour oil enough for deep frying 1 loaf French bread Lettuce tomatoes mayonnaise, etc.

Marinate the fetuses in the egg-mustard mixture. Dredge thoroughly in flour. Fry at 375° until crispy golden brown. Remove and place on paper towels.

Holiday Youngster

One can easily adapt this recipe to ham, though as presented, it violates no religious taboos against swine.

1 large toddler or small child, cleaned and de-headed Kentucky Bourbon Sauce (see index) 1 large can pineapple slices Whole cloves

Place him (or ham) or her in a large glass baking dish, buttocks up. Tie with butcher string around and across so that he looks like he?s crawling. Glaze, then arrange pineapples and secure with cloves. Bake uncovered in 350° oven till thermometer reaches 160°.