Moving to Europe - what to do with the 03 Cobra

Guys:

I'm moving to Belgium in April, and am unsure about what to do with my 03 Cobra. I figure the best bet is to sell it (even though I'm upside down on it) and forget about it until I move home in 3 years. But does anyone know what would be involved in importing it over there? I know the $6/gallon gas and road taxes and stuff would be obnoxious, but would I also have to pay to get lots of modifications done? And would I be able to sell it at a premium over there when I was done (I'm guessing its an uncommon car).

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Schultz

Tell ye what Mike, I'll store it for you, If I can take it for a spin now and then. Not everyday mind you, just now and then *innocent smile*

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Oh, forgot to mention, It would have company parked in the garage next to my 98 Cobra...

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I don;t THINK so, you already have one. He can store it at my house and I'll even send pictures once a month...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

This topic has been discussed in numerous threads in rec.travel.europe.

Based on my recollection, it is *not* recommended. First, it's expensive since you would have to ship it in a container to protect it from damage and so this would cost about $1500. Second, since you are staying more that 6 months, you would have to register it over there and I believe it requires some certification process that it is fit for European use, whatever that means. Third, you will probably have difficulty getting parts for this car and finding some mechanic to work on it. Fourthe insurance for type of car is probably super-expensive over there. Lastly, there are some complications if and when you decide to sell the car over there but I can't remember what these complication are.

Reply to
punk

It is not that expensive to ship over... several companies are geared to do just that and can be found especially near military installations. I took my Mustang to Portugal. No changes required. Of course that was pre-catalytic... so it might need to have that changed. Most aspects, except for glass were no problem. Glass was only a problem for importing into the US. Smog rules are extreme in some countries and very lax in others. Same applied to mechanics (brakes, etc) and cosmetics (cars in bad condition - rusted out- being immediately de-registered during inspection for re-registering).

If nothing else, there were a lot of people overseas who wanted cars like Mustangs , Firebirds, Camaros, etc. My neighbor sold his 6 cyl Firebird, 10 years old and "well used", for $16,000 cash in Japan. How that compares with Europe is in question. If you have any contacts where you are headed I'd check with them for the latest information since I was in Portugal before the EU formed.

Driving is an experience! Hopefully Belgium changed their laws... It used to be that if you bought a new car you had to have a license and insurance, but not if you bought a used car. In Portugal, it was not required to use headlights at night if you were in a well lit area (which was having the light from a store window reach the street). Even something as simple as hitting a farm animal can get weird. In Portugal, if the owner is with the animal, you're at fault; if the owner is not present, the owner is at fault. In some places, run over a chicken and you have to pay for the chicken and all the eggs/chicks it would have produced for a specified period. Japan, if you hire a taxi and there is an accident, you are responsible. The taxi would not have been there to have an accident if you had not hired it. Advice to Americans was, have the money in hand and if there is an accident, toss the money to the driver and disappear. The gist of this is to learn the laws as best you can. And they use cameras everywhere to monitor traffic.

Roads were actually quite good, though the cobblestone patches were a bit rough on the suspension. Traffic in cities can be a horror show. Very congested. But not bad in the countryside.

You will likely need to get an international driver's license before leaving the states. I think AAA used to help with that.

Insurance ran in the neighborhood of $1000 a year in Belgium in 1981.

Public transportation is pretty darn good. My advise would be to consider taking the car with the idea of selling it, not driving it. If you do any traveling, the trains are excellent, and in the cities, the buses and taxis are great. If you want to drive, either rent; there are rental places all over; or look for something there to buy.

You may be able to pick up a desirable (in the US) European car to bring back to sell. They can be ordered to meet US requirements if on the approved list for import (smog and glass are the biggest problems with import). Import fees generally work out to far less than if you bought the same car in the US. Simple example; and realizing the rates are different for different categories of imported goods; a bottle of wine can be bought in Portugal for $1.00. The import fee was 6 cents. The same bottle could be bought in the states for $6.95. Not to mention you were allowed to bring in one wine gallon exempt. We brought back cases.

I was able to pick up a brand new MG Midget for $2K in 1971. Shipped it back to the states in 74 for $116.00. Sold it in 77 for $2.5K to a neighbor who was going to Germany. You get the idea.

Again... I would check with any possible contact you might have already there since the laws vary from place to place, and are apt to have changed both since I was there and since the founding of the EU. Possibly Google for embassies which might have more information or a phone number you can call.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Mike, are you in the military? 3 years in Belgium sounds like an overseas long tour. If you are than your current base should have an area for storing your vehicle. Check with the MPs/SPs.

Dan

Reply to
Hurt

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hey you... I already called dibbs.

Kate

| > Kate | >

| | | I don;t THINK so, you already have one. He can store it at my | house and I'll even send pictures once a month... | | | -- | YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are | a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate

Reply to
SVTKate

I have a heated and air conditioned garage. Neener!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Mike - Bring her with you!!! It'll cost you between 700 and 1000$ for the shipping, then when in Belgium, you'll need to pass a Ministry of Transport test on the car (not too expensive), but you will need to change the rear lights - ie if you have red indicators, they need to be yellow, if you have rear lights/brake lights/indicators on the same bulbs (as most US cars I believe), you need to get them seperated - but then you should be able to find the correct light assemblies and wiring harnesses in the US at a mustang aftermarket dealer (or maybe even at FORD)... Front lights need to be CE approved - these you should be able to purchase in the US in advance. As for the comments about finding a mechanic - there are plenty of mechanice here who work on US cars and trucks - though I will say Be very careful with who you confide your car!! There are US specific garages, but they tend to be expensive - when in Belgium (or maybe before) ask your colleagues for advice and recommendations - that's usually the best way. The Belgian Embassy should be able to give you more info if you need it. Of course, if you're going to be in the south of Belgium, you can always pop into Paris where there are several US dealers....

HTH

Kevin

BTW if you decide to sell her here - there are pe>Guys:

Reply to
Elmo

I think you should donate it to a business. There is a great start-up company here in Oklahoma that could use a good vehicle. The tax write-off on it would be great for you.

2.3Sleeper

I might have shipped your car for you. Being on an amphib meant that we did this occasionally. One in particular time we were loaded extremely heavy with vehicles. All were coming from San Diego to Hawaii. The three time we did it while I was on board we never had a single accident. I was the crane operator too by the way.

We shipped one of those nice Sea-Doo PWC's once and it was very tempting to set it in the water and have some fun.

Don Manning USS Wabash USS Fort Fisher

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Ever put into the TTU at Lajes, Terceira Island Azores? Naha, Okinawa?

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Thailand, Australia, Singapore, UAE, Kuwait, Saudi, Africa, Hong Kong, Bahamas, Cabo, Hawaii (7 friggin' times),and the Philippines. We hit a couple other little Mexican/South American ports, but we were usually there for suppliesonly or two assist in drug ops with the Coast Guard.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Bribery hell...sounds like a damn fine addition for a patrol vehicle. Can't imagine what I would need a chase car for though...actually, yes I can.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

... and you think *I* dont ????

| > Kate | | I have a heated and air conditioned garage. Neener! | | | -- | YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are | a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate

Reply to
SVTKate

He's a whole lot bigger than I am Spike! though, I might be more conniving.