Parking brake upgrade?

Hi all, I'm interested in changing the under-the-dash parking brake in my '66 coupe to something more usable, like perhaps a hump mounted pull lever. Anyone done or seen anything like that? Descriptions or pictures would be interested.

Thanx!

AT austin DOT rr DOT com

Reply to
HiPerformance289

V'ger

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday; )
Reply to
V'ger

What's so unusable about the standard foot type? Both my '67 and '68 Galaxies have the foot operated parking brake adn I've never had any trouble with them. After going through a couple master cylidners (lousy remanufactured units) I tested the parking brake while driving to see how well it would stop me and it did a decent job. I don't see the unusability of a foot operated brake unless you are stunt driving. Not busting your balls, just a bit curious as to what you are seeing as an inadequacy of the original style parking brake that makes you want to use some aftermarket piece.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Have you ever kicked the ass end of a car out with the parking brake? Or slid a corner? Its great fun

Reply to
Mistercmk

The '66 Mustang brake is a pull-lever located under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. It's in an awkward place especially after installing aftermarket seats that are so,ewhat higher. Difficult to get to. It is not a foot operated brake. Its easy to understand why manufactures went away from them to the foot operated one or to the hump mounted lever. And that's what I want.

Reply to
HiPerformance289

A fox style cable setup could be adapted fairly easily. The biggest change would be to add the pivots for the rear cables at the back of the trans tunnel. The rest would just be a bracket or two and the handle install. The older foxes had self contained handles and escutcheons when they weren't equipped with consoles. The cable installation on the rear drums would be the same. I'm probably going to do this swap myself on my '67. I like the old pull style hand brake ( they're quaint) but they aren't much fun for brake turns! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

V'ger

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday; )
Reply to
V'ger

I see... That could definitely be awkward or uncomfortable to use.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle