Replacing The 9000's Emergency Brake Cable

The passenger (right) side emergency brake cable seemed defective to me as I worked with the rear brakes on the 9000. When I turned to my trusty Haynes manual, though, what to my wondering eyes did appear but a need to remove the driver's seat (to access the center console) and lower slightly the fuel tank ("see Chapter 11" on that one, too). Just what can replacing one of these cables be like?

Reply to
Valjean

Do you mean the *handbrake* / parking brake ?

I wouldn't suggest using it as an emergency brake whilst in motion !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I know - it always freaks me out when Americans say "Emergency Brake". I've never figured out whether it's universal, or used by just a few people. Anyone?

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
Valjean

Reply to
Valjean

Gee - I always refer to it as the 'quick-cornering brake for snow use' :) Makes wonders if the front starts sliding outwards... Not recommendable in more than parking-lot speed, though.

*Emergency brake* is what I used today flooring the middle pedal in my 2.3 9K CSE when some &¤(&%¤#" crossed a purely red light ltterally in front of me. Gotta be suicidal to do that in front of almost 1.5 ton of swedish steel in a mid-80 Golf.... Still dont know how I made it, but I definately needed a cup of good, strong coffee afterwards.

Are you sure the cable is at fault? I have experienced a stuck parking brake being due to a sticky caliper. Fairly easy to replace.

/Per

Reply to
Per Laursen

Enough of the semantics. What make you think the cable is defective? What are the symptoms?

Reply to
yaofengchen

I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors, and the cable on the right one didn't seem to work. I believed from the appearance of the left caliper and rotor that just the driver's side had been working. Now, it was growing dark by then, time was of the essence, and I didn't have time to look into it. The first step, I know, is to try and adjust it. How do you do this? But my concern is that this 11-year-old car may need the cables replaced, and from the description above it seemed a daunting task to undertake. So, is it so complicated and difficult to replace the cables, should it become necessary to do so?

Reply to
Valjean

Does your parking brake work? If it does, I'd leave it alone.

Reply to
yaofengchen

Not now, because I was in the middle of adjusting the caliper piston when darkness fell. But the right side wasn't working before I replaced the rotors and pads.

Reply to
Valjean

You don't make sense. The parking brake either works or doesn't. How do you know the right side doesn't work?

Reply to
yaofengchen

Wait, there are two cables that I know of, so why couldn't one of them be off some way? I know the right side didn't work because, with the parking brake on, the left wheel turned and the right one didn't...

I know there could be another cause besides the cable, but the age of the car causes me to ask about changing it, as I get into the problem.

Reply to
Valjean

I never would have noticed if one side of my 9k parking brake works and another doesn't. The SAAB parking brake is self-adjusting. Every time you pull on the brake, it advances a worm screw mechanically to squeeze the rear disc. I'd watch the cable movement on the rear wheels with an assistant pulling the brake handle to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

Reply to
yaofengchen

I have a 1991 Saab 9000, 2.0 16v I need to tighten the parking break cable so I can pass the Swedish saftey inspection. I am an American living in Sweden and I call it the emrgency break; just for the record. Can anyone give me a simple answer as to where I can find or how to tighten this cable so the pull lever dosen?t go so high when I pull on the brake? Thanks for any help.

Dude, I would?nt replace that whole cable, sounds like suicide to me.

Reply to
morseman21