Pet Peeves

Here are some of my pet peeves:

Why on earth do people litter? Can't they just keep the trash in their car until they get to their destination?

Why do people refuse to make traffic lines, especially when it comes to a freeway/expressway exit? Why do they have to cut in front of others, or me?

Why is it people drive with their handicapped long and wide card hanging from the mirror? It obstructs visibility and clearly states that it should be removed when driving.

Why is it so hard for some people to use their blinkers?

Why do they throw out burning cigarettes when there could be fire danger, especially during the summer drought? And why do they have to throw their cigarettes out the window, period? Put them in the ash tray, then dump the ash tray when you get home.

Why is it that the first 3 seconds of the RED LIGHT no longer means STOP? It means go faster through it or "Don't worry, the on-coming traffic will be looking out for your stupidity!"

Why is that some people wait until the sun has completely set before they turn on their headlights, or even their park lights? Don't they realize, especially if they own a dark colored car, that it's damn near invisible against the blacktop pavement or in a rear-view mirror? Lights are used to be seen, as much as they are used to see.

And, last but not least, why don't people pull over and/or stop when an ambulance or police car approaches? What if it was their family or friends inside the ambulance, or the police cruiser rushing to save a family member in trouble?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

The answer to all your questions: laziness and/or selfishness.

Over in the driving newsgroup, this cancerous attitude is referred to as "Me First, F**k You" or "MFFY" for short.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

For those last three...

AMEN!

K.

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

I agree on all points. The tazer story was far more amusing though.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

And why is it no one can put their shopping cart in the proper place. What a bunch of lazy people we are.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

[...]

Good points all... I think my personal favorite is the cigarette, and right along side it is the littering. One time on the way to Monterey we witnessed something that was a real eye opener. A family with nothing more than a garden hose and a couple of shovels trying to stop a grass fire that was obviously caused by a tossed cigarette. The fire was rapidly approaching their propane tank and they looked tryly scared to death. Luckily, the fire truck was just about to turn into the driveway. Can you imagine losing your home because someone tossed out a cigarette? Anyway, it's always been a pet peeve.

I'd like to add a couple if I may

WHY do people put that sweet little child on their lap and drive around town with it there. Do they not realize that in any given second that someone may do something completely out of their control that would cause them to crush the life out of that little one with their own body weight. (very common out here)

WHY do people drive with their damn dogs in their faces, crawling all over their laps, up and down, running around while they are operating a moving vehicle?

WHY is it that when I signal a lane change the person in the lane I am moving into suddenly decides he or she has to go faster in order to crowd me out?

WHY do people waste the first few seconds of the green light as though mesmerized by it rather than moving on through the intersection.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

The French, believe it or not, have solved this problem. Carts are kept in racks in the parking lot. If you want one, you put a Euro in the machine and you can pull out a cart. When you're finished shopping, you return the cart and you get a Euro back. It's the only country in which I've seen these, but it's a great idea.

A few kids are always around offering to take the cart back for you!

Reply to
John H

Reply to
razz

I agree with all of your points, Patrick, especially this last one.

But everyone you talk to also agrees. Either a lot of us are lying, or each and every one of us does something stupid often enough to make it seem that there's a lot of bozos out there.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Agreed... for the most part....

State law says headlights may be turned on 30 minutes AFTER sunset, and off 30 minutes BEFORE sunrise. As long as the law allows it, some people will wait until the last minute in order to save wear and tear on the headlights and switch....

This one is part of rookie training.... put several rookies in a vehicle and turn on the radio, with the windows up and the air conditioning on, and let them start talking (the driver was a ringer). Another unit goes in pursuit. Invariably, the chase car was right on the rear bumper of the training car before the rookies ever knew it was there. Today's cars are far better at sound suppression that the old classics. It is also quite common that drivers will hear an emergency vehicle and have no idea where it's coming from. Watch, and you'll see some drivers looking all over the place trying to see where it is in order to know if they need to get out of the way. By the time they spot it, it's generally too late

In most places the law specifies when you must pull over. You may not be required to pull over unless the emergency vehicle is traveling in the same direction you are. That the roadway is divided or undivided may make a difference. Whether it's a single or multi lane may make a difference. How close to an intersection may make a difference.

So... to find an answer to that peeve, you have to research what the law really says. If it says drivers only pull over under certain conditions, you can't very well fault the drivers for obeying the law. There are conditions where pulling over may be extremely hazardous. And if the vehicle in the number one lane doesn't pull over... where ya gonna go then?

If you've driven narrow 2 lane mountain highways where there is no place to pull over except special passing lanes or turnouts, you can see why. Anyone traveled California Rte 1 where the drop to the ocean is a very long way??????

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I've seen that system at work in British Columbia, oh, must have been almost 15 years ago.

I dunno, maybe if dollar coins were more popular here in the US, these kinds of systems would be also.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I knew there was something I liked about you guys!

Reply to
John H

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1118803424.530450.41190 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

No. Getting rid of it at the moment is easier and quicker. Storing it somewhere then having to remember to deposit it in the proper receptacle is too much of an effort.

Because their agenda and their time is more important than yours. They don't need to respect people they'll never see again.

Basically, for the same reasons they litter. It's way too much trouble to actually take it down, put it somewhere, then remember to put it back up. Just too much of a bother.

It's too much of an effort, and they don't need to be courteous to people they'll never see again.

What, and dirty up that clean ashtray in the car? No way. Plus, it's a lot easier to just flick it out. Takes too much effort to actually put it out in the ashtray. And the ashes would eventually get all over, and that stuff smells too. Just way too much of a pain.

Way too much effort to do that. Lots easier to just flick it out the window. Same with trash.

Again, because their time is more important than yours. They know you're standing still and it'll take almost those 3 seconds for you to get going, so they have that "grace period" to keep going through the light.

Because they're simply lazy and downright stupid. The DRLs will be lit, so they'll be able to see somewhat.

Actually, no. That thought never occurs to them.

That's lost on a helluva lot of people.

Again, because their time is more important than any paramedic's, cop's or anybody who's in the meat wagon. Same story - they can simply ignore anybody they won't come in contact with again.

Oh, that's altogether different. Anybody not considered a friend or family isn't worth consideration.

Reply to
Joe

Kate said:

Think about it for a second. The people wasting the first 3 seconds of the green light are making sure it's safe to go because of the people that think the first 3 seconds of the red light on their side no longer means stop. :)

K.

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

And: The new plastic headlamps that deteriorate and get dull after 3 or 4 years. And they are expensive to replace too.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Kate said:

Think about it for a second. The people wasting the first 3 seconds of the green light are making sure it's safe to go because of the people that think the first 3 seconds of the red light on their side no longer means stop. :)

K.

LMAO.. actually, after I reread the posts I laughed thinking the same thing. shaddap kid.... ya bodder me!

;¬D

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Why do they get to a 4 way stop and act as if it says "GIVE UP" instead of "STOP" ?? :-p

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Working for a metro police service, I can tell you one of them anyway... cause they will never, ever, get a ticket. The cops, need to get somewhere, fast, and can't pull over to ticket the dimwits... Once in a blue moon, they will get the plate # by chance and cite them later (yes, it's legal) but they're too busy trying to get through traffic to notice the plate...

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia