PING - STuK

Stu,

If you're interested, I'm finishing up the discussion we had a while back about oscillating voltage in my Tempo, only b/c it's similar to the

4-cyl Mustangs...

It uses a 75A "Mitsubishi alternator". It's a v-belted one. Stick + air apparently required a different alt. than auto + air. Ok..

The charge lead plug is apparently notorious for corroding and shorting. It was horribly corroded, and replaced it and the alt., and had recently replaced the battery, leads, starter solenoid while I was at it and terminals of course because it "puked".

The reason it "puked" was, from what I've put together and heard, because of the bad plug from the charge leads. The voltage going up and down violently enough for long enough fried the alt. and, as I thought back, caused two batteries to puke and two alternators to cook in 80,000 miles.

Fried alternator with battery puke sounds like a tasty dish, but it was expensive, frustrating nonsense. Finding the friendly neighborhood parts store instead of the know-nothing chain, where no reality exists outside their computer screens, saved me from having to go through this b.s. again with my beater. Hey, I know what I know and don't what I don't. I'm ok, but not great with diagnosing electrical problems. I should have looked for corrosion before, but didn't...

If this information is valuable to anyone, then good deal... that's why I bothered to post it... and thanks for the help on the other stuff, Stu...

Reply to
Wound Up

Thanks, Good to know. Checking for corroded connections is pretty much "business as usual" up here in saltsville and just good troubleshooting in general. Glad you found the problem. Starting to get ready for the snow up here now. Had some on the windshield this morning, just a dusting. I need to get that damn 289 block of my garage floor! I hate scraping! Grrrrrr. I cheated today and poured water on the window today. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

"business as usual"

Yeah, thanks, me too. Something new learned. So elementary... kind of a forehead-slapping experience You remind me of living in CT, where winter was longer, and the salting ridiculous (but necessary) in da tri-state area dere. I'm sure up there it's much worse in terms of general rust and rot on cars than in Mo. We're still in the 50s and 60s. We'll get an Alberta clipper or two every Jan. with wind and below zero F, but then it might be 60-70 the following week... went from 72 to 5 above in less than 24 hours once

Yeah I bet. I hate it too. Man, do I ever, because "I get the garage" was countered with "ok, then you scrape my car" :) I still have (maybe) 2-3 weeks before I'll have to put my car to bed for the winter. I also had to replace the washer tank and spray nozzle, which had crumbled to dust after 15 years. Weird things start going after a certain point

Have fun... don't hurt your back on that lil 'ol 289 ;)

Reply to
Wound Up

That's interesting because for a while, the replacement 4 cyl alternator on the mustangs came with a new lead which was to replace the original, the problem was well known in the early-mid 90's.

Wound Up opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And as useless information of the day, I believe these are made somewhere in Ohio. I work for the power electronics / power electrical division of Mitsubishi Electric US.. I believe our cohorts in Ohio make starters, alternators, and other such things.

For all their hard work, I get the X-plan.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
Wound Up

Thanks. And no information (esp. automotive) is truly useless IMO. Tuck it away, it might come in handy at some point! The parts guy flipped the unit over, and said, "there, in the middle, I expected to see the tri-star emblem. I guess this is an original Ford core."

X-plan?

Reply to
Wound Up

Eh, at least you know there's some guy in Mason, OH that you can call... lol. I don't know what good it would do though, he probably has no control over it. I could get the website. I think the official company name is Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America, Inc.

Supplier discounts on new Fords (even SVT), including Mazda, Volvo, and who knows what else (but not Jaguar).

JS

Reply to
JS

Yeah... well, interesting to know anyway. I like random facts about stuff I'm interested in.

Right. Got a friend whose dad worked at Ford his entire career, and has been retired for a while but still gets his discount. They've gotten countless new cars, Mustangs, Crown Vics, Probes, SVT Contours, Explorers, Expiditions, an S80, and now a Lincoln LS with his discount. Do they own Aston Martin? I would bet you wouldn't get that on one of those if so.

Maybe someday I can write him a check for a new Mustang. Not sure if it's the same plan, but I believe 20% is his deal. Yes, but not JAG-U-AR!!

GOD I HATE those commercials :)

Reply to
Wound Up

Wound Up opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net:

As long as you understand that they arent the same engines, at all

All they share is "2.3" and maybe the alternator

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yep, I do.

The Mustang engines are OHC and differ from mine in just about every other way you could think of.

Mine is a re-done pushrod tractor motor, essentially, with EFI and the HSC head.

The "and maybe the alternator" part is why I posted my story here...

-J

Reply to
Wound Up