Power steering pump and 17 inch wheels?

HEY GUYS, i just purchased an 88 gt and it has after market 17 inch cobra r's on it.. I noticed that the power steerinh pump is whinning a bit.. could this be because the 17's are putting more strain on the pump? i dont want to change the pump until i know for sure.. what do you guys think?

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Doubt it makes a difference. If the belt and fluid levels are ok then the pump could just be noisy or it could be slowly dying. If it's working then I would say just keep tabs on it after checking fluid and belt.

Reply to
Brent P

Seems like Ford pumps have always made that noise. Just part of their charm. Just turn the stereo up a bit.

Reply to
boB

The only time my steering pumps ever made any noise was when they were low on fluid.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Drain the power steering fluid out and fill it up with ATF Automatic Transmission fluid. This will quiet it down a lot. I used it in my

88 Mustang with my old motor that had 140k on it and the pump went from a growling sound uner load to whisper quiet. I put a new PS-pump in when I changed my motor along with a new power rack, I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in it and I never hear it no matter what. If your 88 has high miles on it I dont recomend synthetic because the stuff is so slick it may leak somewhere. Use regular ATF like Chevron, Mobil ect. and you will see the difference in pump sound. No, the 17's dont strain the pump. Ford pumps just noisy when they have some miles on them. ATF will help alot. It is almost the same fluid ATF is a lot better quality hydralic fluid than PSF . You may have to drain it, fill it, start it, and drive it and it a couple of times to get all old nasty the fluid out of the rack. I would do it about three times to get all the old stuff out .

Reply to
Carver

I have 17's on my Cobra and my P/S pump (it's the same as yours) works just fine.

First I'd:

- Check the fluid level

- Change out all the P/S fluid

If those don't cure it, I'd either look to:

- Replace the P/S pump

- Replace the steering rack

Good luck,

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD