Move up to 17 inch tires and wheels?

I have a '03 Tundra 4x4 extended cab. What difference can I expect if I change out my 16inch tires and wheels for 17inch tires and wheels? Handling or ride will be different? I spend a good deal of time on the road with little or no load, just me in the truck, I like the quiet ride, will I keep it or does that depend more on the tire tread than anything else? GCS

Reply to
RESPITE95

Damn, I used to have a spreadsheet that would calculate differences in wheel and tire sizes, but it got thrown out with the bathwater last time I did a reload. It was great for figuring out just what you're talking about.

Basically, if you go with a 17"rim, try to pick a lower profile tire...unless you're going for an aggressive off-road look(lift kit, 33's, etc). Generally, going down one profile size with a larger wheel will keep the diameter the same, so the geometry stays the same and you don't have to change anything or realign. In cars, I took off the 175/70-13's on my Tercel wagon and replaced them with 175/75-14's without too much trouble. Leaned a little bit more in corners, but they were snow tires and I wasn't out to set land speed records. When nicer weather came along (and the fronts were shot out) I went to 185/60-14's...guess what? Same overall profile as the 175/70-13's, except wider (yeah...too wide...I can't go full lock on the steering or they rub the frame...). So I have a decent ride and better handling (on a Tercel???) and I didn't have to change the geometry at all!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Hope this helps...

TF

Thanks for the link! Mine was a bit more detailed than even this, but not much. I think I added revs/mile, but this covers what anyone would need to know! Bookmarked!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Again...it DOES have revs per mile. (My accounting prof was always saying, RTFQ///read the FFFFFFUUUULLL question!)

Reply to
HachiRoku

Whether or not you realise it, you did change the geometry by changing the tire size.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Hmmm...didn't seem to throw anything off. The car handles nice now.

I didt the same with my '95 coupe, went to 185/70-13's. I run out of engine long before I run out of grip.

I had this tested when I was passing someone on a two lane. He pulled over to the right, off onto the shoulder, and then decided a u-turn right in front of me would be a good idea! I figured he would look over his shoulder and see me...never did. Went right up on some dude's lawn sideways, hit some ice and then recovered. Needless to say I had a few choice words for him, which I made sure he heard... :o

Reply to
HachiRoku