Problem - 95 Mustang

Hi.

95 Mustang - Base package. 3.8L V6 and 5speed. 127,000km's What has happened is the car stopped running? It will start, and run for a moment and then quit. Fine. Mechanic checked fuel pressure and found bad pump. Replaced with new pump (not rebuild) and replace fuel filter at the same time. Got the car back. Ran for a day and then the same problem came back. Towed to same mechanic. Checks out the car and the electrical's. Fuse for the pump circuit is blown.

He suspects that the first repair ( bad pump ) may have damaged the fuse and this caused the second failure. Anyways I am now carrying a spare fuse.

Any opinions on what to look at next, if this occurs again. The car is well maintained. Maybe CCRM ? Also once in awhile the Air Bag light will come on, 2 times this winter, but it has done this for a long time, so I don't think it is related.

Thanks in Advance Shawn

Reply to
Falcon Guy

How reputable was the brand of fuel pump? I was talking to a shade tree mechanic a few days ago who put in three fuel pumps in a row from a "lifetime warranty" chain store. The first one lasted a month, the second a week and the third one ran for about a minute. Of course this was one where you had to pull the gas tank. After biting the bullet and spending a little more money the last fuel pump he put in has been going 2+ years now. Could have been a run of bad fuel pumps I guess, but......

I have a Ford that will blink the Air Bag light whenever the battery is getting up there in age. Probably because the initial voltage is low right after the car starts. It happens whenever it's cold and the car has been sitting for a few days. After running a minute or two, you can shut the car off and restart it and the light never comes back on. In the summer I have no problems. Just something to think about when you start to diagnose this.

Reply to
Kruse