Pros and cons for removing air silencer?

I was looking at this page

and saw a +5.5hp gain from just removing the air silencer Is thereany down side to this?

Reply to
Sonicmonkey

I just removed my silencer last weekend. I noticed a small difference in power, however it seemed minor. The biggest improvement is that it seems to be noticably louder :-)

Reply to
Brian Ober

You didn't say what year you have, but this is not supposed to be as valuable on the 4.6 as it was the 5.0. I've had one of each, and I pulled the silencer on both. I have a 4.6 now, and if there was any gain, I really didn't "feel" it. Some will say that it actually costs a couple of HP. It does make a whooshing sound that I kinda like, though. Personal preference as much as anything, I guess.

Reply to
Ken and Amy Andrews

On older Fox models, you gained a tiny bit by removing it. On newer SN95's, you will actually lose about 3 hp, evidenced by a dyno run that was published a couple of years ago.

On top of that, removing the silencer introduces both turbulence and higher intake air temps, confusing the hell out of the engine control computer. The ACT will sense the higher intake air temperature, which will cause the computer to cut back the timing, and the MAF's accuracy can be thrown off by several percentage points as well, which can affect the fuel mixture. Overall performance will suffer, and I don't recommend this.

If you're after greater intake efficiency, consider 'bobbing' the air intake snorkel by a few inches instead.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams

And, if you live in Florida and your cars Black and you park it outside while your at work, it will run like crap until the underhood temps come down. Been there done that... Removing it actually helps the Cobra gain about 10 horses, the blower heats the air anyway and the intercooler tries to get it back down to ambient. BTW, the snorkel (not really a silencer) for the '03 Cobra has a larger diameter than the GT. Might be a cheap mod for those who want to leave it in place and not cut the factory one.

Reply to
Mike King

Intresting, I'm glad to read your replies and it was for an 88 5.0 BTW

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Sonicmonkey

Reply to