gearset

Ok... someone here posted a site that included RPMs (approx.) that I would run if I used 3.73 gears vs 4.10 gears... anyone have that site again? I've got a 98 Mustang GT.. oh btw.. a 2003 Cobra challenged me earlier tonight... so I (knowing I'd get spanked) accepted. AND I WON!!! ok maybe just in my non-functioning head.. but surprisingly... he didn't KILL me.. he beat me, but didn't devour me. I almost kept up a tiny bit :P. Almost :P. Also what kinda RWHP increase would I see with 3.73 gears VS 4.10 gears on a near-stock 98 Mustang GT? Anyone own a 98 GT & did this mod? Thx fellas =).

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

You wouldn't gain horsepower, just change the way you use what you've got. Going to a 3:73 gear would give a better top end, a little better mileage on the highway, but a slower jump off the line. Personally, I'd start building horsepower with some bolt-ons, like a better air induction system, better exhaust system, larger throttle body, etc.

run if I used 3.73 gears vs 4.10 gears... Also what kinda RWHP increase would I see with 3.73 gears VS 4.10 gears on a near-stock 98 Mustang GT? Anyone own a 98 GT & did this mod? Thx fellas =).

Reply to
Mustang_66

I thought going with 3.73 gears with let me hit higher RPMs faster? Wouldn't that improve acceleration & hence speed up my jump off the line?

Reply to
memsetpc

Pick a gear that puts you near redline in 4th (on a 5 speed) when you cross the 1/4 mile finish line. This will vary with tire size and HP. It is insufficient to just say "4.10s are best". Bigger is definitely not always better when you're talking gears.

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

Wouldn't that improve acceleration & hence speed up my jump off the line?

Generally...very generally speaking... its the other way around. The higher the ratio (bigger number:1) the quicker you get out of the whole. But theres alot involved to consider.. like your transmission gear ratios, the type torque converter if its an automatic, the horsepower of the engine, cam profile, etc, etc... Everything starts with the engine and the horsepower it provides, everything else is trying to get as much of that horsepower as possible through the drivetrain to the rear wheels in the way you want to use the power. You'll want different setups for 1/4 mile racing, than for

1/8th mile racing, than for track racing... If you figure out how you want to use the car, then you just have to get the gearing and suspension right for that task. The one place that you will universally improve performance is with adding HP to the engine.
Reply to
Mustang_66

That clears up a lot of things. Thanks a lot! =)

performance

Reply to
memsetpc