Question: Faulty EGR valve.

If your car is a stock 87, it has the TFI in a distributor.

The CPS is for the DIS as per JS.

It is most likely your TFI... too bad, they can last indefinitely with maintenance every few years; remove, scrape off the old grease, apply new.

And the replacement is more likely to fail from causes other than heat.

BTW, it's NOT the heat from the engine that kills it.. it's own heat kills it if the grease dries up and turns into an insulator.

And you can tell if your dist pickup/ TFI or coil is bad by simply watching your tach

If the tach needle bounces a little when you switch ignition on but not when the engine is trying to start, the problem is on the dist side... usually TFI.

If the needle doesnt bounce at all, it's your coil or wiring.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Pepito

Update: After a new TFI and a small battery charge my stang started again, first it was a little shaky but I drove it around the block a couple of times and the weird shaking went away. I could finally scream.... IT"S ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Reply to
Pepito

Computer was just re-learning its environment... especially if the car was dead and it lost power. Good luck to you and your car...

JS

Reply to
JS

Update: With a new EGR valve and a new gas filter the car is giving me

300 miles/tank, I have to do the math but it looks lie a big difference in fuel economy from before those small changes.

--

88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L
Reply to