Re: '03 GT Convertible

I'd take it back to the dealer and let them look at it. I have a 2002 convertible and it's very easy to use. The grinding sound that you hear may be something binding, which will damage the motor and hydralics in no time.

Sooo... just completed the first 1000 miles in my new convertible. > > Overall, I love it, but I have a couple of questions. > > Putting the top up is funky at best... first, at the end of the travel > there is an unpleasant noise from the motor, that I can only describe > as a grinding noise. Probably normal, but not attractive... sounds like > a food blender grinding ice cubes. > > Secondly, I have to grab the passenger side of the top and swing like a > 225# gorilla to drag the thing down to where I can latch it. The > driver's side seems easier. > > Finally, it seems that putting the top down the retaining hooks don't > spring back like they used to the first few times, so again, I have to > pull down hard and sometimes grab the hooks to pull them back. > > Perhaps the whole top mechanics loosen up with time, or perhaps I have > a maladjusted top? > > Any thoughts? > > Oh, and I tossed the stupid boot in a closet where it will stay until I > sell the car. Getting it to fit and stay on isn't worth the hassle > IMHO.
Reply to
Ralph Snart

Important tip just in case: Drop all 4 windows an inch before putting top up.

Reply to
Scotter

When it wont travel any further (up or down) it should make a whining noise. That's what it should sound like, whining with grinding noises is definitely what it shouldn't sound like... Mine made a noise similar to that JUST before the hydraulics that open and close it sprung a leak and squirted hydraulic oil. Good news is yours is under warrantee... Mine waited about 7 years...

As others have said give it some time... It might not be perfectly adjusted, but that top is brand new and is going to be tighter now than it will be for the rest of it's serviceable life.

You'll STILL have to pull down to get the latches lined up but it shouldn't take much force.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I also have an 02 with none of the problems you've encountered. (except the

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Well my top is 9 years old and is still so tight that my wife can't latch it. It is especially tight if I've had the top down for a week or more.

Reply to
Richard