Re: '65 radio upgrade

While were on the subject of MP3's is there any way to "broadcast" to my 1997 factory auto's radio/cassette player? I think that it would be great if I could plug a MP3 player into the cigarette lighter and "broadcast" to my current auto radio/stereo. I don't go into stereo equipment stores very often so please advise what would be a good one to purchase if available.

Thanks, Gene

Andrew Croft wrote: > > Anyone have any idea what other connection I could try on a '65 coupe? > > > > Andrew Croft > > > > '65 Caspian blue 6 cylinder coupe, blue interior [07.85 to present] > >
> Very nice, makes me wish I'd been in a position to do something with my > old 65 fastback. Looks like you're concentrating on the 'stang to the > exclusion of your lawn... good to see you have your priorities straight ;) > > On the subject, there is an alternative setup if you're mildly techy, or > stickler enough to want to keep the stock radio, but want some modern > quality stereo tech. Basically you just set up an amp (where ever suites > you; under a seat or in the truck) some aftermarket speakers (external > enclosures and a subwoofer box if you want). and get a hard disk based > MP3 player, hook it into the amp and rip all your CD's to MP3 format and > you've got a completely stock classic with the equivalent of a 1000 CD > changer. Which can be removed by just unplugging a few wires > > For MP3 player there are lots of 10 to 20 gigabyte (that's thousands of > CD's worth of storage) players. Everyone knows about the Apple iPod. > Personally I recommend the Archos in the 20 gig flavor (if you like a > lot of different music). I have this basic setup in my 95 GT convertible > with the Archos going into the stock Mach 460 system, which sounds > incredible. When I do get another 65 fastback I plan to use a similar > setup (external speaker enclosures) to keep it 100% stock. > > The best part is, the really expensive part (the MP3 player) is super > easy to remove (just unplug it at the player and put it in your pocket). > Even if someone stole it at least they wont have torn it out of the dash. >
Reply to
Gene Seach

at 21 Jul 2003, Gene Seach [ snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net] wrote in news:c8_Sa.3878$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

They used to sell cassette tape boxes with a wire to plug in your protable CD player. I'm sure those are still around and if you are lucky, the plug will fit the socket on your MP3 player. Plug in that cassette adapter, switch your radio to tape mode and you should be hearing your MP3 with one of those.

Reply to
Paul

This is new wireless product from Irock, model 300W, I have no first hand knowledge but looks like a good product and the price is right too....Rico.

Rico

Around 7/21/2003 4:51 PM, Paul spake thusly:

You could also try an RF modulator, which plugs inline with the antenna and then all you have to do is tune your radio to a certain station to listen. You do lose some quality, but it's at least as good as FM, and should be fine-n-dandy for 128kbps MP3s.

Go to and search for "RF modulator". It looks like either the JVC KS-IF200 ($39.99) or the Clarion FM200S ($54.99) would fit the bill.

Radio Shack probably would have one as well, but I only use them as a last resort since the a) tend to overcharge and b) treat all their (young white male) customers like potential shoplifters. :(

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Hi

For my 66 Coupe I got hold an AM modulator and a MP3 Discman. That way I can listen to music through the original AM Radio.

(Are in the progress of making a CD with only music from 1964-69 (And probably one with only 66 music on it..))

I get mono and here is probably something to say on the quality (AM signal as good as it gets) but I think it's rather cool to use the original Radio.

Reply to
Aimo

Wow that looks really cool.. the "irock! 300W - FM Transmitter" product. =) I'm interested in that myself now! lol

-Mike

afl_id=-1&dist_id=-1&productID=&quantity=1&funcID=9901&department_current=40

Reply to
memsetpc

But, back to the original question... anyone have any idea why connecting to the fuse box won't keep the radio's sets in memory?

I unhooked the battery, inserted the wire end into the fuse box on the side of the cigarette lighter - tried both sides - and nothing after I hooked up the battery and tried the radio again.

Fairly clean fusebox and a very good wiring harness that I worked on, off the car, about 15-16 years ago. I'd like to find a good connection under the dash rather than running a wire to the battery. Thanks!

Andrew Croft

'65 Caspian blue 6 cyl> Wow that looks really cool.. the "irock! 300W - FM Transmitter" product. =)

Reply to
Andrew Croft