Re: 85 Mustang Convert Bow-Wow

The '84 was rated at 175 HP from the factory, but mine (bone stock!) puts almost that much to the rear wheels (about 170 RWHP). A good aftermarket cam and headers/exhaust will easily add 40 to 60 HP with the intake and carb he already has, even with the stock heads. The 271/289 might bump the compression a bit too much, but the 351's should be OK with 93 octane pump gas. With those heads the other changes he could reasonably expect a 100+ HP gain, and that might be a bit much for the stock tranny, as well as putting a bit of a strain on the engine internals.

I have a friend who has an '85 Mustang Convertible. The car has a 302 with > an automatic. He recently replaced the throttle body injection with an > Edelbrock intake and a 600 Holley. He owns a number of Mustangs and says > that this '84 is an absolute pig in the H.P. department. I am trying to help > him out a little and have some questions: > 1) Anyone know anything about the camshaft Ford put in these engines? This > one is not the roller version. > 2) Does anyone know the chamber volume in the cylinder heads? I have an > extra pair of 271 H.P. 289 heads, and a set of '69 351W heads, but am > concerned that the they will bump compression ratio too high. > 3) The trans is an automatic overdrive. Are they strong enough for a little > more power? > He had one of the local guys do the injection to carb swap. They used a Ford > distributor with an MSD 6A. > Thanks > Bill > >
Reply to
Mike