modifing a 04 Cobra

I just bought a Cobra, i hear you can modify it by changing the pulley and adding a chip and get upto 60hp. But i really like the fact that it is quiet from factory, will doing that and adding a K&N filter kit changing the sound?

RjA

Reply to
RjA

Michael Johnson, PE

". But i really like the fact that it is quiet

RjA

wow...I never heard a mustang owner say that!

Reply to
Emily Quesenberry

i know, i know... i have a modified 88 5 Liter and it is really load, so it take a little getting used to a quiet mustang.

Reply to
RjA

wow, 500rwhp, when factory it is around 360-380rwhp? question: the mods you mention, what brands should i get? i read that a few 03-04 owners have used Steeda pullies, Diablosport chips. what about the intake? accufab? and the exhaust? full headers, x pipe, catback?

Reply to
RjA

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Dennis Reinhart is the man you need to talk with! He and his partner are the Masters at programming Ford Chips by far!!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Or Check this out!

Katmandu

Reply to
Richard

Boost is not logged in the computer, but there are other telltale signs of pulley use even if you swap it back to stock for warranty work. Swapping pulleys causes scratches on the pulley or snout, a protective coating over the contacts of the computer service port needs cleaned off to chip tune for the pulley, and the jury's still out on Predator tuning. It's believed that the computer holds a count value for each time it's flashed with a new program. If this number differs from what the Ford service records show, it suggests a Predator or other device was used. Heck, some dealers are denying warranty work based on rear tire wear claiming abuse. If your going to mod a Terminator don't expect any warrantee repairs without a fight.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Stock they are around 430hp (Ford has them underrated) Get a pully and a chip and you are close to 500 or more. Make sure you have the Air/Fuel ratio tested after the pully change. I've seen some tests (even with predator chips) that showed the A/F ratio was way to lean which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Rein

since when did adding pullys and a chip give you 60HP? You better be adding a few extra stickers to that too:-)

Reply to
Bryan S. Moore

When that pulley is connected to a supercharger. The '03 - '04 Cobras are supercharged, swapping out the supercharger pulley and getting a tune can easily add 60 horsepower. A good CAI and an aftermarket cat back will free up 25 - 35 horses before a pulley change and tune. There are Cobras with factory superchargers running around 500 rwhp.

Reply to
WraithCobra

since the 03 cobra came out.........

Rein

Reply to
Michael Seeley

The stickers are unnecessary. A 2.8" upper pulley and a chip can net you between 50 and 70 rwhp easily.

Reply to
Dan

I've heard that a new catback is necessary even with the pulley and chip swaps, if you want to hit the 500HP mark

Reply to
66 6F HCS

well I will be the first to admit I was wrong...how come Ford just does not do that and produce a car that is 500HP...they could make more money...wouldnt you think?

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan S. Moore

500 [B]hp? Or 500 rwhp? The Terminator is averaging around 365 rwhp in stock trim. A 2.8 pulley and the tune to use it, with the stock cat-back, gets the car to around 410 to 425 rwhp, which is just around 500 bhp. Yeah, if the car is a low baller to begin with it might take a cat-back, but most don't need it right away. The 2.8 is getting the blower to around 17 psi of boost at sea level and the biggest overall power gains come with that first extra 8 psi of air.

On the flip side, I was at 500 bhp with a full exhaust (cat-back, mid-pipe, headers), filter, and chip. By far the most expensive way to get to that mark ;).

After that the curve flattens fast after 500 :).

Reply to
Dan

A couple of reasons. First, the Cobra doesn't exist in a vaccuum. Ford has other performance products and thier marketing clearly stratifies them by engine and demographic. They apparently didn't want to eclipse the Lightning by too much, nor did they want to challenge the GT, which, at the time, was rated at around 500 bhp.

Second, I think they were concerned about where the car would land in the insurance and regulation landscape. I especially believe this given Colletti's comments in the latest SVT Enthusiast magazine, in which he stated that it's past time to attack vehicle weight rather than turn up the wick.

But most importantly, a 2.8 pulley spins the blower just past it's manufacturer's specified reliable limit. In the real world the blower has proven to be very, very stout and very durable. But, from a warranty/maintenance perspective, the blower is beyond it's limits. Also, at that rate the blower is adding a ton of heat to the motor. That's a long term reliability issue for sure given the capacity of the intercooler system, and redesigning the intercooler system for greater capacity is a cost issue.

Reply to
Dan