Top Speed

Hello,

I am an occasional reader of the Mustang newsgroup and I was wondering if anyone had information on the top speed of stock 2003 GT's and stock 2003 Cobra's. If you do have any information, what is your source? Someone I know is having a debate with someone who said they were caught speeding at 190 mph, while racing against a Mustang. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

2001 Mustang GT
Reply to
SteamEngr

A friend of mine said he had his Mustang GT up to about 140 before it wouldn't go any faster. No source other than his word. It sounded a bit high to me (the cars I've been driving govern out at 120mph).

The 190mph story almost sounds like a "misunderstanding" that i've seen before. Being in Canada anyone under the age of 20 at this time is metric only. When they talk speed its kph. The rest of us still talk mph for the most part. So when some kid says they did '120' at the track with a geo metro I say BS because i'm thinking in mph instead of kph. It goes the other way too...quite a few kids lost to a hot rod that only gets '120' at the track. I could maybe see 120mph (~190kph) but never 190mph.

Thats my little sorry.

Kirk

Reply to
Mulatz

I've had my (mostly stock at the time) '95 GT up to 135mph on I-10 between Houston and San Antonio. The car still had plenty left to give, and wanted to go faster. However, the thought that I was relatively going freeway speeds with all the other cars stopped cross my mind. That's when I decided it was better to say goodbye to the two chicks in the covertable vette, then hello to the rear end of an 18-wheeler, and slowed to a more reasonable speed.

--Larry

-------------------------------------------------------------------- It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper. -- Rod Serling

Reply to
Larry Dennis

Mine (03 GT) will do 90mph. Thats the fastest I ever had it. I suppose it could do more, but I probably won't find out.

Reply to
jriegle

The Mustang GT with 17" wheels from the factory has no computer controlled speed limiter, but has a top speed of around 140 mph due to wind resistance vs. the 260 horses. Mustangs that came from the factory with 15" or 16" wheels used a lower speed rated tire and are computer limited to 127 mph. The 2003 Cobra is the only year that is computer limited to 155 mph, other Cobras are only limited by wind resistance vs. horsepower and would still be lower than 150 mph. IIRC, it would take over 600 RWHP to move a Mustang any where near 200 mph. Someone must have been confusing KPH with MPH as another poster stated.

Reply to
Mike King

The stated top speed of a '97 Cobra is 154 per the SVT owner's manual. It also happens to be redline in 4th. I'm not sure it'll pull to redline in

4th (6800 RPM) with 3.27 gears and 245/45/17 tires on it.

I've never had the car up over 130, and even at that, I wasn't real comfortable with the car wanting to rise up from the ground slightly... car felt *very* light. I suppose on a long, flat, smooth, straight stretch of road you could wind the thing up to 154... but I don't know that I'd want to.

The sales rep that came in the other day with a Porsche claimed his manual listed the top speed at 145. He didn't believe me when I said my Cobra was listed at 154. He'd kill me in any kind of road course though.

JS

Reply to
JS

I've had my '93 up to 140 a couple times. It had PLENTY more in it too, if i would have had a 160mph speedo, I guaruntee i could have buried it, although with the 3.73's it would prolly run out of gear around there. It wasn't quite what I would call stock though, lol! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I've taken my '98 GT to 150+ once along a deserted stretch of I-5 at 4:15 a.m. back in 1999. I was travelling SB, so I'm sure there was a 10-15 mph. wind at my back. And I'm sure the speedometer is fairly inaccurate at that speed, but that's what it indicated. I have the OEM 17" wheel option, 5-sp and 3.27:1 rear.

And no, I don't plan to do it again. Anything over 70 belongs on a track. But, everyone gets an itch to 'see what it'll do' just after they buy a V-8 Mustang, and I doubt I'm the only one who has indulged themself just once.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

congratulations you have been victimized by bench racing. I am sure the guy also does 10 sec. in a quarter. most cars cant even do 130 mph. never the less do 190, the horsepower to reach those speeds would be quite high , Nascar runs those speeds with a full blown race motor with some where in the area of 650 hp. So it is safe to call B.S. on the story.

Reply to
todd

Oh come on, you only live once :-).

Reply to
Fao, Sean

I too am inclined to say 190 is KPH, not MPH. Factoring weight and wind resistance, there is no way 190 is possible in stock form. Plus if a cop sees someone drive by at 190, I doubt they'd chase. More likely they'd hit the party lights and cruise after him at 70, stopping by Walmart to pick up a spatula to clean the guy off the road.

Adios, ~Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Andrade

I've only had my '94 up to about 95 mph, and I had a Corvette clearing the way on the Interstate. My son, however, tells me that he's pegged the speedometer (150 mph}.

I'm not real happy with him, of course, but he did it on a closed road near the automotive tech school he was attending. Or so he says.

I doubt that the speedometer is that accurate at those speeds, but I do remember a speed run from Pascagoula, Mississippi to Pensacola, Florida in my friend's 1960 T-bird, many years ago. The speedometer went to 140, and he pegged it.

Probably, we would have set a land speed record if he hadn't had a blow-out on the rear driver's side tire. Doing a few 360's at those speeds can be a bit exhilirating, but we were young. I remember the change tray in the console lifting into mid-air and spewing coins every which way. We laughed like idiots, which, of course, we were.

Came to rest on the shoulder, and a Good Samaritan burned his hand when he put it on the rear fender to bend down to look at the destroyed tire. Amazing how much heat you can build up at those speeds!

Still, 190 mph is a bit much to claim for any American stock car. I think the Viper only (!) does around 170.

I'm not going to sell my '94 Mustang 5.0, in any case. Might even add a KB supercharger. WTF, I won't get another chance; it's this life or none at all.

Reply to
MC