Re: BE WARNED! The truth about LocTronics!

What I'm about to tell you all might seem unbelievable. However, it's
> all true, and you are the first to find out. You see, I'm still
> considering my options and don't want any lawsuits on my hands...yet. I
> want everyone in this NG to know the TRUTH about LocTronics.
>
> We were sold an optional security package with our '98 GT called
> "Loctronics", a device that disables the starter unless a
> specially-coded cardkey was inserted into a device that was mounted
> underneath the steering wheel trim.
>
> We were told flat-out that this car with LocTronics would be completely
> safe against theft, regardless of how professional the thief was. We
> were told that even if a thief used jumper wires or such, fuses would
> burn out further disabling the system.
>
> We paid $499 for this "dealer installed" option. Loctronics is located
> at 3212 Luyung Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742 (1-800-759-LOCK). No
> documentation was included with our papers, only the 2 cardkeys and a
> small plastic box they came in.
>
> I have seen dozens of people with this "system" installed on their cars,
> and everyone I've spoken to seems to have paid about the same amount for
> it, and they all got it as a "package" at the dealership with the car. >
> Just for the hell of it, I decided to take a much closer look at this
> unit in my driveway. When I climbed underneath the dash and took a
> look, I nearly shit myself. You will not believe what I found. >
> The "box" that controls this thing is made of black plastic, and accepts
> a cardkey device that allows the starter to operate. All this damn
> thing is (belive it or not) is a fancy shunt that closes a simple 1-wire
> circuit! That circuit is the solonoid hot-wire to the starter, located
> underneath the dash. (it comes off the ignition switch.)
>
> I fashioned a quick 6" piece of wire and jumpered the connection. What
> do you know. It starts with no problem, and no magical cardkey in
> place. Imagine that! Me, a true non-professional thief, starting this
> car with this fancy $500 anti-theft device, bypassing it with a $.02
> cent piece of wire.
>
> I went further. I undid the silly box from the underside of the dash,
> and pulled all 3 wires out. (1 was a ground, the other 2 went to the
> snipped ends of the starter solonoid wire.) I dismanteled the box, and
> found nothing more than a couple of resisters, a small 12v relay, and a
> small circuit board that did absolutely nothing except close the simple
> 1 wire circuit it interupts!
>
> I'm going to be generous and say that the total cost of the materials
> and the 10 minutes it took to install this piece of shit was maybe
> $25.00. I'm not a car thief, and it took me all of 10 seconds to bypass
> this thing and start the car. A simple toggle switch would have been
> FAR more effective!!!!!
>
> So, you grin and ask, "how could he be so fucking stupid as to allow a
> Ford dealer screw him for a piece of shit like that?" Folks, it's
> easy. And believe me, I'm so FUCKING PISSED ABOUT THIS SHIT right now,
> [...]

Keeping old Threads Alive
I had been looking for a while on how to rewire the ignition on my 96 Honda
Accord so as to bi-pass this hidious LocTronics Security device. When you
said it mearly interupts the ignition wire, I was so excited. My Honda was
stollen and when I recovered it the theives had removed the plug-in module
from under the dash, I thought it will never start again. I removed the low
er dash drop pannel and followed the cable off the back of the LocTreonics
connector right to the ignition wire that was spliced into. I cut the splic
e and rewired boyh ends of yhe ignition wire back together and YES it allow
ed my car to start right up.. I didn't pay for the damn thing as I bought m
y car used, but I would have been pissed if I paid for that device. To go t
hru all the time to put that thing in, I would much rather have paid for a
real car alarm.
Reply to
larryharwin
The reason they get away with it is largely because so few people actually get their car stolen. And of those who do, very few ever see their car again so the ONLY group that would ever figure out (without doing what the original post did and taking the thing apart) that this thing is worthless would be the small number of people who's cars were stolen AND recovered AND who looked into why the loctronics thing didn't prevent the theft. That's a very very tiny group of people.
It almost goes without saying that when you buy a new car you should refuse to by ANYTHING that was added by the dealer. EVERYTHING a dealer adds to a new car is a rip off.. EVERYTHING. The security alarm, the paint protection, the "special exhaust", the bed liner, the floor mats. Most aren't needed at all and add nothing to the value of the car, functionally or in any other way, and for the few that might be of value to a specific buyer you can almost certainly get whatever it is cheaper elsewhere.
I'd be surprised if you could successfully sue them. Unless your car was stolen you don't have a reason to. The sold you a device to prevent your car from being stolen. It wasn't stolen. Therefore they can claim their device 'worked' since you have no way to prove there have not been many attempts to steal your car that their device thwarted.
If you can get a dealer to refund your money it would signal the second coming of Christ.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher
At Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:36:31 -0700, Ashton Crusher rearranged some electrons to write:
You do realize, of course, that you are replying to a post from 17 years ago.
Reply to
David
Doesn't really matter tho for some as these things are still being found in cars. I just got a 2004 Chevy that has one installed in it. LOL!
Reply to
excelon22

Site Timeline Threads