Re: Do tires rot?

> > Was driving the girlfriends Integra this weekend, which is something I > > almost never do. The traffic in front of me came to a sudden stop and > > I had to hit the brakes harder than usual. The car went into a long > > ABS assisted squealing skid and finally came to a stop much further up > > than I expected. It freaked me out to say the least. This was on a > > sunny, dry, 80 degree day. If it was raining out, I surely would have > > been screwed. > > > > My 99 GT or 03 Cobra could have stopped in at least half the distance > > and with no ABS skidding fanfare. > > > > The tires are the original Michelin's and are 8 years old. They have > > 67K miles on them, but still have plenty of tread left. My guess is > > that the rubber must be pretty hard to have this long of a tread life, > > but since they are so old, are they possibly drying out? Maybe > > they're starting to dry-rot and becoming much less grippy. > > > > Any thoughts? > > > > Jim > > 03 Cobra > > Tires do dry rot, usually when they sit unused. Check the sidewalls > for signs of cracking. > >
Reply to
joe

The fact that Michelins will last 8 years should tell you right there they are NOT going to grab and stick like the Z rated tires on your Mustang. The guy I bought my car from had cheaped out (yes CHEAPASSED out if you're reading this Robert :D ) and they would lock up in a heartbeat, now I have shit flying all over the car before the tires lock up with the Kumhos.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]