Re: exhaust recommendations?

Check out

There is a lot of info there that may answer your questions.

I'm running a 96 GT Convertible with only mods being 3:73 gears and K&N Air > Filter. > I am thinking about some things, including underdrive pulleys. > > Also, exhaust. > What I'd like is (a) closest to factory sound as possible (I don't mind it > sounding different as in more throaty or rich and even don't mind a tiny > increase in decibals but closer to factory sound, the better, for me) and > (b) high quality (heh of course, eh?) > Is the typically louder sound of aftermarket mufflers necessary because of > whatever difference allows better flow and thus more horsepower or is it > because a lot of people who want mods want their car to sound more powerful > like it is? In other words is the increased horsepower RELIANT on loud > mufflers? I realize the shape of the muffler, maybe less bends, seems like > it would have some effect... ? What else? > > Thanks! > -- > > Scotter > 96 Mustang GT Convertible > K&N Air Filter and 3:73 Gears > >
Reply to
Steve B

The catback system on your car should be of secondary concern since it sounds like you have the stock H-pipe with six catalytic convertors on it. Significantly more bang for the buck can be had replacing it, even if going to a high flow *catted* pipe (X or H...your choice). The only noticeable change you'll get from the changing the catback is sound, until you're making well over 300 rwhp. FYI...there's a guy on the Corral that ran the stock mufflers to around 400 rwhp and didn't have much of a change when he finally swapped the catback. Cats will help keep the car quieter, and an offroad pipe will make it very loud. My suggestion (if it's not obvious yet) is to change the H pipe to something a little more performance oriented. See if you like the way it sounds, and if not, change the mufflers or catback at that point.

Reply to
Keith

Thanks, Keith, for the advice. What kind of performance difference will typically be had by changing out the H pipe?

[...]

Scotter

No prob, Scott. The headswap actually bumps you a little higher than the new cars due to higher compression ratio. That also forces you to use premium fuel (91-93 octane). The labor is costly due to the time it takes. Plan on $750-$1,000 for labor, plus the parts.

Reply to
Keith