Re: Sub-Frames and 3.73s...First Impressions

Looks like you need a full exhaust next. Long tube headers, h/x pipe, a complete cat-back system (american thunders, magnaflows, bassani, etc) You'll notice improvement with this mod too.

Reply to
RioRedGT

I beg to differ. I can't hit a bump in my Cobra without wishing I had subframes. I can feel the entire car flex over every single bump. I live in SW PA... we have bumps in the road that put some of our parking lot speed bumps to shame. Around a turn with bumps, with the throttle off, the back end of the car dances all over the place while the front end stays on the ground. There's problems there.

JS

Reply to
JS

Set of brand new Global West full-length subframe connectors with seat braces sitting in my room right now. I have the parts. I just need to find someone I trust to weld them on in my area.

In fact, I have a set of Saleen bolt-on subs for a Fox too just sitting there... I've had them through 4 Foxes for the same reason... I want them welded and I don't know of any place that does that kind of stuff normally.

JS

Reply to
JS

"RioRedGT" wrote in news:9_mWa.6737 $ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

Yep, exhaust (bassani bx) is in the books for the spring. Have too many other commitments for my money right now. :(

Darren.

Reply to
Pheare

"JS" wrote in news:OwnWa.1644$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

Yep, bumps definitely make a difference with the subs.

Darren

Reply to
Pheare

I can't agree more about the 3.55 to 3.73 choice. The 3.55 is realy not enough to do a big difference and 4.10 is not bad at all...you can also go

3.90 now...

As for frame connector, it's not there to help the car in any way but keeping it from twisting like a pretzel under hard acceleration. What happens with time is that the car actually cracks. I repaired some of those cracks...in the floor, on the junction of the roof and the pilar (driver side upper winshield..). So it's a protection more than anything...

2 cents.

Serge

Reply to
Serge

I see this discussion so often, but rarely see any reference to the power level of the application. For a stock 5.0, 4.10s probably aren't too bad, but for a supercharged 5.0, they are too steep. With 500HP, 1st gear will most definitely be totally useless on the street.

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

Definitely find a quality welder. Subquality welds will fatigue and break over time. They should be continuously welded on both sides not just tacked in place. I got mine welded at a shop that builds custom race cars and he did a fantastic job. You should be able to find a similar shop in your area.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chris1) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dls.net:

Yes, that is a very good point.

Me being stock, 3.73s aren't causing any traction issues, but I would imagine that as the hps increase one would have to be much more mindful to keep the tires from spinning. 4.10s would obvioulsy only make the issue worse.

Darren

Reply to
Pheare

The Fox bodies almost require a subframe - mine creaked when the motor was stock, and flexed like mad. Best thing for even a stock body. Until you get better traction (a 5.0 with stock wheels and even Nitto's is a joke in first and second gears -can you say smoke 'em) you will not be able to notice the rear. Pull the snubbers off too - this put more than a tenth on my car (quarter) when it was new, still running the goodyears.

Andrew

93 GT c> snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chris1) wrote in
Reply to
Andrew Paule

Andrew Paule wrote in news:U_xWa.38$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Snubbers??

Reply to
Pheare

Even with the subframes I had on my car(kenny brown super subs) my car still bent a little. You HAVE to get good subs and have them welded in by someone who knows what they are doing. I could tell my car was bent because I could see the new paint cracking above the passenger side window, and the car was painted after the subs were put in it, so I know it at least flexed a little with the subs on it. Plus the windows didn't line up and the doors were hard to close. I never ran slicks either, but I did have a good bit of power(enough to break 3 t5's in

15000 miles). I also had 3.73's, they were great when the car was pretty stock, but when I had the trick flowed 331, I was wishing for 3.27's or 3.55's. I couldn't hook up at all > I can't agree more about the 3.55 to 3.73 choice. The 3.55 is realy not
Reply to
Erik D.

How would they (snubbers) have an impact on your 1/4 times? Surely Ford put them in for a reason. They must be doing something.

Reply to
Richard