Recommended leather-seat treatment/procedure for my '94 GT convertible?

Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations on how best to treat my leather seats on my 1994 Mustang GT convertible.

Specifically, I'd like to see if there is a generally-agreed-upon cleaner and treatment to be used in a "classic" procedure for my car (eg, always use cleaner? How applied? How long should I wait between cleaner and treatment? Should I use a brush? so many questions... ;). Additionally, is my car's leather and recommended treatment procedure any different then other car's leather/procedure? I'm interested to see if I can use one set of treatment materials/procedures for any leather-seated car I might have in the future. Thanks in advance for any help!

2 different car-wash employees have recommended Lexol and Jerry Macquire (sp?) leather treatments. I have purchased some Lexol--both the leather cleaner and treatment. I was advised by one car wash to use Lexol with a stiff plastic brush and apply the cleaner first, then dry, then use the treatment. The other car-wash guy said that Lexol is the "cheap stuff" and to get the J. Macguire flavor.

So here I am trying to resolve the discrepancies and am hoping to find a "best" solution.

I have seen a couple other Usenet postings recommend:

The topic of leather treatment does not seem to get much play in the web communities I've seen. Hence this post. My apologies if this is a FAQ.

More background on my car:

My seats have been exposed to the sun quite a bit in the last 4 years. The back seat has developed a minor crack in the leather, but nothing significantly bad as of yet anywhere else.

The car has relatively low mileage (60k) for its age, it's in pretty good shape, and I'd like to keep it that way. It may be worth noting that I bought the car when it was

6 years old and it then had only 7k miles on it--original owner babied it. I, of course, have used it a lot more and have forsaken the leather seats--other then getting it treated by a car wash every year or so. I figure it's now time to do something about this.

For what it's worth, I often leave the top down outside in the sun for a couple-hour periods, and I do not plan to change my habits...unless I discover this is terribly bad for leather. I'd rather treat the leather very nicely and not have to put my top up and down all the time.

-Matt

1994 Mustang GT convertible

-- Remove the obvious text (including the dash) to email me.

Reply to
Matt

Leatherique gets rave reviews on

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

First off, I'd say the recommendations are Lexol and "Meguiars," which has nothing to do with the Tom Cruise film - no Jerry. I've got friends that swear by Lexol, but I find it hard to work with - all of my Porsches have perforated leather seat inserts and Lexol conditioner gets in the holes and stays there; I hate the look of it. I've never tried Meguiars, though I think their waxes are okay. The absolute best leather care products are from Leatherique, their Rejuvenator and Prestine Clean. These are used by people with Rolls-Royces, Jaguars, Ferraris and so on and they worked great on my

1966 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow; I use nothing else now. They have a web site at
Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown