VIN/motor question

The VIN of our mustang is 6R07P195631 (or, rather, warranty id; it is listed as the VIN on the registration, though).

This site:

tells me that P is not a possible engine for this 1966 car. The whole reason I am looking this up is that a mechanic told me the car has a 240 ci straight 6, not the 200 I was expecting.

So primarily, how can I tell if the actual motor in the car is a 200 vs the

240 I was told, and secondarily, what does the P mean in the warranty id?

The other number on the door plate, which I think is the actual VIN, is 65A T 25 06E 74 2 6

but I think that is just for trivia right now.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas...

Reply to
Adrian Spidle

The true location for the VIN is stamped on the inner fender, Drivers side. The fender mounting flange has a notch in it. You should see the VIN in the notched area. It should match the number on the door plate. But things happen, doors get replaced, errors occured on the line etc.

I don't know how to tell the difference btwn a 200 and a 240. In 38 years anything could have been swapped in there. But no 66 mustang left the factory with a 240 Does your car have 4 lug nuts or 5 on each wheel?

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

The 240ci I6 and it's brother 300ci I6 were designed as a truck motors. They are huge; very tall and long. Getting one to fit in a '66 would be tough. There was only one I6 available in '66 - the 200ci. The 170ci I6 was dropped after the 64/65 models.

Reply to
boB

"Adrian Spidle" wrote

It's not possible to fit a 240 I6 in a classic mustang without MAJOR modification to the firewall and radiator placement. So much so that it's really not worth doing unless you're building a dragstrip only motor. IIRC the 240 is taller and would require at least a scoop if not the whole centerline of the hood to be *moved*. You don't have a 240 and I would suggest a different mechanic if he can't tell the difference.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

You are correct. Unlike the other 2 major American car companies, Ford had

2 different style inline 6 cylinder blocks. The 177, 200 and 250 cid were small blocks placed in cars, while the 240 and 300 cid were large blocks placed in trucks. The large bocks are heavy and huge - you may be able to place one in a full sized car like a Galaxy (fer Gawd's sakes why would somebody want to do that?), but not a Mustang.

You are correct - this person needs to find another mechanic pronto!

Reply to
Ralph Snart

The Chevy 292 I-6 was the equivalent of the 240/300 Ford... a big, stout stump puller.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1