Removing headlight glazing?

Is it possible to polish out the glazing on the plastic headlight covers? I'm buying a '99 V6 for my daughter (it's a suprise for her birthday this Saturday). It looks brand new except that the headlights look like frosted glass. This is the newer style body that has the clear plastic covers (not fluted). If anyone has successfully done it can you please post what you used and how long it took? Thanks!

Reply to
Alan Chapman

Alan Chapman opined in news:QK0pd.628$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

do a google search on this group using glazing polishing and headlight as terms

I use mapei unsanded tile grout (Lowes) in a paste and a sponge and it works great ... thoguh evidently most dont agree with me because it's "too cheap, thus couldnt possibly work".

Cuts the "frost" fast... if you see micro-scratching THEN use a polish.

Then a UV resistant plastic wax

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I've used the 3m white polishing compound on a foam drill bonnet, and they look like NEW!

Only problem is that they will revert back to "frosted" much sooner than they originally did because there is no UV protection.

Haven't tried waxing them as BYM suggests, but is makes sense that it would work.

Actually, though.. Mustang headlights are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP on ebay. There's lots of aftermarkets, and there's lots of OEM's from the folks INSTALLING aftermarkets..

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

this is what i did to my 96 Ford Contour head lights.... open the hood and took duct tape and covered the bottom and sides of the headlight lenses so you dont remove any paint from the fenders and bumper... the i took a can of $1.79 Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and a glass of water and two old face cloths... wet the cloths and ring them out and then apply some of the polishing compound onto the rag.. rub each lense for about 5 minutes each with the damp rags and the plolishing compond on it... i then took the other wet rag and kept wiping off the polishing compound.. i had some head mounted magnifiers so i could see what was going on..(to see if it was doing anyting... and yes it did.. the old hazy coat was coming off. it took some time but i could tell where to work on the lenses... i then used a polishing bonnet on an electric drill and worked on each lense for about 5 minutes each.. then lenses looked new.. but it does not last more than a few months and then you have to start all over again... i think its the plastic gassing off some chemicals that lets it get dull????? hope this helps.

Reply to
dbird

Where'd ya get the foam drill bonnet... ? And the polishing compound? :P Wal-mart? :)

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

news:QK0pd.628$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Reply to
<memset

wet sand them with a palm sander, you'll cut right through it. it does need to be protected then. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

at 24 Nov 2004, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in news:8L9pd.36892$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

Walmart carries the ploishing compound alright. Auto aisle, where the waxes and polishes are. :-) Dunno about the bonnet, you may want to try

Paul

I bought a pair of headlights for my 96 mustang from 1A auto for $70 for the pair.

I found them on ebaymotors.com Their prices are better if you can find it on ebaymotors rather than their "regular" website. I didn't see any listed for your car other than smoked lenses. You may call them and ask..

Reply to
Chuck

Thanks for all the replies. I tried elbow grease and the drill polisher with rubbing compund and even grout (yes someone suggested grout) and nothing worked. Was a lot of mess and trouble eventually leading nowhere. I guess the 99 & up headlights don't take to this fix. Course if I had an AC powered drill it might have helped. Looks like I'm going hunting for headlights on ebay. Thanks for being helpful though.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Chapman

My 89 didn't either. I polished the hell out of them and they only looked marginally good and turned again really quick. I replaced them.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]